GenericJam

GenericJam

In Paul Graham’s 2003 essay/talk, The Hundred Year Language, he makes various points about what we’ll likely need out of a language, want to use in a language and what types of resources will be available to programmers in a hundred years.

He’s a big Lisp fan. I think Elixir took some of the best parts of Lisp such as macros and FP in general.

Of all of the various things Graham muses about, I think Elixir is one of the better candidates for the hundred year language. If not Elixir itself, I would think Elixir is at least in the lineage. Thoughts?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

praveenperera

praveenperera

I think a new language consisting of Elixir + Types could be it.

Or perhaps Rust + OTP

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Exactly what I was going to say! Thanks. :slight_smile:

Cochonours

Cochonours

Paul Graham doesn’t seem to agree as he wrote

For example, types seem to be an inexhaustible source of research papers, despite the fact that static typing seems to preclude true macros-- without which, in my opinion, no language is worth using.

He continues with

The trend is not merely toward languages being developed as open-source projects rather than “research”, but toward languages being designed by the application programmers who need to use them, rather than by compiler writers. This seems a good trend and I expect it to continue.

Which fits Elixir well, among others. And indeed this approach often bear fruits!

Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai

Hi, what is a true macro in this context? And what could be “falsy” macros? Something like C macros?

If you have any examples or some lectures, I’ll be happy to look at them..

GenericJam

GenericJam OP

The closest thing to an explanation I found here:

Paul Graham is a proponent of having “the whole language there all the time”

As a crude analogy he wants the option of building the plane while it’s flying. I think most people are uncomfortable with this level of freedom. This is why macros are generally considered an option of last resort in Elixir unless you’re using it to build a domain specific language or something.

As a counter to this level of optimism:

Bear in mind that Paul Graham is a philosophy major who wrote a shopping cart in Lisp that was bought by Yahoo and subsequently rewritten. He struck gold, retired young and then spent years writing stuff like this.

I’m still a fan. Dare to dream otherwise nothing gets better.

Cochonours

Cochonours

I never learned Lisp and am not a macro expert but from what I gathered its macro system and the language itself are one and the same. Macros are not mere preprocessing tools working under different rules and taking strings in and out for the language compiler to work on later. As regular Lisp functions, Lisp macros have access to all the power of the Lisp language, and can play around with the abstract syntax tree. I think that would be the most basic requirement for him to consider a macro system “true”.

About the static typing, I think the problem is that it prevents a program from manipulating itself at runtime, so any kind of macro which is able to do that won’t do. Strong typing is possible, but not static typing.

A few interesting links :

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I am not a full fan of PG as many on HN are. He’s quite correct on many accounts but as usual, all assertions – his included – must be evaluated in context. In his case, LISP and all the LISP-like languages (of which Elixir is one) have the advantage of being able to do runtime code modification (in-place) and also the much more practical compile-time code generation.

That indeed makes those languages very well suited to deal with the real world – I have used Elixir to reshape loose and often times half-invalid external data to something much more manageable that can be analysed, transformed, stored into data and pulled into reports. Elixir worked absolutely amazing every time for these scenarios.

Once you get to that point though, a strongly and statically typed (plus compiled to native code) language is IMO much more suited to work with those normalised data structures (Rust and OCaml come to mind but I am sure many others qualify as well). The potential for error in a statically typed language is simply much smaller.

Well put! I’ve seen many on HN get offended by this criticism and while I am sure some are using it to degrade I believe many (like you) use it to point out that the guy is suffering from survivorship bias like all of us and that his advice, again, is only valid in certain contexts only.

GenericJam

GenericJam OP

This isn’t my quote by the way. It’s from the link. The person saying this has a point but I still think there’s a place for people like Graham. It’s fine that he got ‘lucky’. Everyone that ends up in a similarly privileged position got lucky in some way. The fact that it worked out for him is proof positive that it works for at least some people at least some of the time.

I think the main point that he tries to get across in his evangelism of Lisp is its power to leverage the work of a small number of programmers to achieve greater productivity. That may have the added limitation of not really being scalable to a larger group of programmers.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Not “may have”, it’s “absolutely has”. :003:

I’ve heard stories about several LISP programmers. They single-handedly saved the business while it was struggling to get traction. They had deep understanding of the business area and invented amazing domain-specific languages on top of LISP. Programs with no more than 3000 lines of LISP code serving a business that made 0.5 - 1.0 million a month through it.

Trouble is, once they burned out and left, nobody could decipher what they did. The projects had to be started from scratch.

Cochonours

Cochonours

On the opposite end there is Java, which was made to help projects survive their developers and lower cost by rendering them as replaceable as possible. Yet, a big project full of spaghetti code written in Java would encounter the same fate if its main developers happened to quit en masse!

I agree with Paul Graham that conciseness is a fundamental characteristic of a language. But I never even tried to learn Lisp because I think readability and predictability are even more important… Languages like Elixir are on the right track IMHO, making simple things easy without trying to be too smart. Being functional and encouraging coding functionalities in independent processes help with reusability too, which is another bonus.

Aside from this, I think that the “let it crash” philosophy is better than defensive programming. Even the perfect static typing will never prevent internal errors as the hardware can fuck up too, so it’s better to acknowledge that and move on instead of dreaming about the perfect program proven with formal proofs that will miserably crash when it will enter an “impossible” state.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews