Sebb
Exercism states, that I should rather capture a function instead of creating a new one.
While this makes sense, it seems to me that this should be an easy task for the compiler to optimize.
In particular I prefer for example &(&1+&2) over &+/2.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
josevalim
It is not faster. Those are equivalent.
LostKobrakai
There’s however a difference between
&Module.fun/2vs. any other form. The fully quantified version (mod, fun and arity) can be optimized to not use an anonymous function, which makes it more performant. This is important in situations like:telementryhandlers, which might be called very often, as described in the docs:dimitarvp
Great point. Maybe long-term Erlang should add NIFs / BIFs that deal with telemetry handlers so people don’t have to step on egg shells.
LostKobrakai
You’ll get compiler warnings when doing this wrong with telemetry afaik.
dimitarvp
Really? How do they do it, compiler tracers?
LostKobrakai
https://github.com/beam-telemetry/telemetry/commit/a2e98a6474212a518fd1406d457e39839ae51e0b#diff-ae92aa66910b0a33615d1d3207fc0552b2a270776b5afec936f1f668adef4dbbR98
Seems like it’s a runtime warning when attaching, not a compiler warning.
dimitarvp
Really thoughtful of them to implement this warning. Impressive.
Thanks for the link.
hauleth
To clarify - difference is meaningful only when that capture crosses process boundary. Within single process it will be unnoticeable or even may be slightly slower when you call local capture within single module.
dimitarvp
But doesn’t it always cross the process boundary? I thought telemetry sending is always async (as in, it’s sending messages to another process)?
Hmmm. Soon I’ll be working on several projects that will all need a lot of telemetry and I should research the performance implications in more detail.
Still, anything you can tell me beforehand will help.
hauleth
In Telemetry it almost always cross process boundary, that is why Telemetry forces remote captures.