Is GenStage a good fit for my multi dependent pipelines example?

Hello, I have a demand on my app where I need to process multiple pipelines that depend on the results of other pipelines.

To do that, I was thinking of using GenStage, I created a sample project that you can get here: https://github.com/sezaru/test-genserver

• producer.ex is my producer, some other service will send messages to run;
  • pc_a.ex, pc_b.ex, pc_c.ex, pc_d.ex are producers_consumers;
  • c_a.ex, c_b.ex, c_c.ex, c_d.ex are consumers;

If you run it and send a message to the producer, for example Producer.sync_notify 20 the whole pipeline will run.

1. Sending some value to the Producer will trigger PcA and PcB to receive the value;
  2. PcA has it’s own consumer CA and PcB have CB;
  3. PcC receives both PcA and PcB results and process them in pairs;
  4. PcC has it’s own consumer CC;
  5. PcD receives both PcB and PcC results and process them in pairs;
  6. PcD has it’s own consumer CD.

Which gives me something like this diagram:

Each arrow shows the subscription route.

As you can see, in my pipeline I need to send the result from a producer or consumer_producer to many consumers or consumer_producers, so I use GenStage.BroadcastDispatcher for that.

Also, some consumer_producers may need to receive the response of more than one consumer_producer, so I need some way to sync their results and make sure I’m processing then in the correct pairs, for that I have an implementation using the state of PcC and PcD to keep the sync correct.

This seems to work great for my case and I can’t see any obvious issue with that approach.

But I’m not sure if this is the best way to do it and I’m open to some other suggestion and concerns.

Thanks!

2 Likes