ostap
In Phoenix apps, the web module provides this “re-dispatch into methods” technique for use (see __using__):
defmodule ExampleWeb.Router do
use ExampleWeb, :router
end
defmodule ExampleWeb.TodoController do
use ExampleWeb, :controller
end
defmodule ExampleWeb.Layouts do
use ExampleWeb, :html
end
defmodule ExampleWeb do
@doc """
When used, dispatch to the appropriate controller/live_view/etc.
"""
defmacro __using__(which) when is_atom(which) do
apply(__MODULE__, which, [])
end
def router do
#
end
def controller do
quote do
# ...
end
end
def html do
quote do
# ...
end
end
end
What was the goal/benefit behind doing it that way? I’m guessing it’s for cutting on boilerplate, as otherwise it would’ve been:
defmodule ExampleWeb.TodoController do
use ExampleWeb.Controller
end
defmodule ExampleWeb.Layouts do
use ExampleWeb.HTML
end
defmodule ExampleWeb.Router do
# hmm, probably inlined because same module name
end
defmodule ExampleWeb.Controller do
defmacro __using__ do
# ...
end
end
defmodule ExampleWeb.HTML do
defmacro __using__ do
# ...
end
end
Do we see more examples of this technique being used in libraries and projects besides Phoenix?
I’m trying to grasp the philosophy behind every decision ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Eiji
I think it’s rather an edge case especially to make code “shorter” and have a single “helper” module for this. It’s most probably because this code is not a part of a
hexpackage, but a simple and short not documented (private functions have no documentation) part of your codebase. They are short and contains just a few aliases/imports and stuff like that. I would say it would be divided in few modules only if the inside logic would be more complex than what we have right now.The entire
ExampleWebmodule logic is just so simple that it can’t compare to the logic of a typical macro. Also I believe it’s easier to maintain such helper in a single file rather than working on multiple files. The currentPhoenixversion have already impressive structure and does not need a bunch of tiny files just to separate such a simple logic.ostap
Thank you! Interestingly, even Phoenix 1.0 from 2015 already shipped with the same web module, while the pre-release version from 2014 didn’t have it and used the alternative “separate modules” approach.