coen.bakker

coen.bakker

I have a live view that contains a live component. I want the live component to respond to certain broadcasted messages (broadcasted from elsewhere). Do I have to use the root live view to catch the broadcasted messages and pass them on to the live component? Or is it possible to catch the broadcasted messages in the live component directly?

Currently my root live view uses handle_info to catch the broadcasted messages and sends an update to the live component with send_update.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

coen.bakker

coen.bakker OP

For example, in my root live view I have:

  def handle_info(%{event: "user_banned", payload: %{id: user_id}}, socket) do
    send_update(
      self(),
      Groups.TopicChatComponent,
      %{id: "groups-topic-component", event: "user_banned", payload: %{user_id: user_id}}
    )
    {:noreply, socket}
  end

And in my live component:

  def update(%{event: "user_banned", payload: %{user_id: user_id}}, socket) do
    # Do stuff
  end
JohnnyCurran

JohnnyCurran

is it possible to catch the broadcasted messages in the live component directly

Unfortunately, it is not, because LiveComponents are not actual processes and so they lack the ability to receive messages from other processes.

Your options are to either continue with send_update* or you can consider using an abstraction such as live_event

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

You could use a nested liveview… with the responsability of doing what You don’t want to do in the root liveview.

coen.bakker

coen.bakker OP

Thank you.

I expected that much. It felt a bit verbose, so I wanted to check if I wasn’t missing anything.

Would it be a bad idea to simply send all events with their payloads to the live component of the root live view? In reality my root live view has multiple live components. So I am considering doing something like:

  def handle_info(%{event: event, payload: payload}, socket) do
    send_update(
      self(),
      Groups.TopicChatComponent,
      %{id: "groups-topic-component", event: event, payload: payload}
    )

    send_update(
      self(),
      Groups.SidebarComponent,
      %{id: "groups-sidebar-component", event: event, payload: payload}
    )

    send_update(
      self(),
      Groups.ReportsComponent,
      %{id: "groups-reports-component", event: event, payload: payload}
    )

    {:noreply, socket}
  end

As a consequence each live component will also receive updates that aren’t meant for them. They would just ignore those updates.

coen.bakker

coen.bakker OP

That’s what I was planning initially, but when I started implementing it, the approach fairly often felt awkward and unnecessarily complex/not-so-elegant to me (for my use case, at least). That could be my lack of mastery, though, rather than a problem with the approach.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews