Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

I am working on creating protocols, behaviours and implementations for multiple kinds of containers. (See Implement Containers for more info)

In many cases, the implementation is separated from the interface. However, it would be really nice if it were possible to write @specs that worked with a collection(/container/wrapper, etc.) containing certain datatypes.

For instance, there is the built-in type list(item). Now, item could be any (which is its default), but if a spec is written containing list(integer) and a non-integer is passed there, then Dialyzer will warn you.

So I’d like to do the same for other types of collection-like data structures. However, as the implementation is hidden from view from the behaviours and protocols, I cannot actually say anything about the internals of these data structures (Other than ‘it should implement this protocol’).

So I’d like to create symbolic wrapper types. Something like:

@type collection(item) :: type

(Using @opaque is probably better here, but that is beside the point.)

Above example will however not compile, as item is a free type variable which is not allowed:

== Compilation error in file lib/insertable.ex ==
** (CompileError) lib/insertable.ex:45: type variable item is only used once (is unbound)
    (stdlib) lists.erl:1338: :lists.foreach/2
    lib/insertable.ex:1: (file)

Is there a way to introduce item on the right hand side here? Or is there another way to create a type for wrapping-structures like queues, sets, trees etc that allows restricting what type of values should be inside?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

If you have any kind of use call to your module then you could build up the types in the remote module dynamically.

If you are wanting to do something like an ‘unbound’ item that is to be filled in then I usually make an opaque item and use it, then have the other modules reference that type as it’s internal type (and/or refine it via use).

What do you mean by introduce it on the right side? Can you show a complete example of what you ‘want’ it to look/act like?

(Or you could MLElixir that allows for types with arguments and refining. ^.^ /s)

Qqwy

Qqwy OP

TypeCheck Core Team

@josevalim responded to me in the IRC channel, stating that Dialyzer cannot handle the dynamic protocol dispatch (at least as it currently stands), that creating specs for this probably wouldn’t really work.

So… I guess it is impossible, at least right now.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews