addrummond

addrummond

Can Elixir code detect whether it is executing at compile time? I would like to write something like the following macro:

defmacro foo() do
  quote do
    if is_compile_time? do
      one_thing()
    else
      another_thing()
    end
  end
end

It’s presumably obvious how the code that the macro expands to can execute at runtime. It can execute at compile time in a scenario such as the following:

defmodule Bar do
  def bar() do
    foo() # invoke the macro
  end
end

defmodule Amp do
  @attr Bar.bar() # code that 'foo' macro expands to is executed at compile time
end

I have tried examining __ENV__, but unless I’m missing something, it offers no reliable diagnostic for compile time vs. runtime. I wonder if there is any other way. For anyone familiar with Common Lisp, I suppose I am looking for something that works a bit like eval-when.

By the way, I am asking largely out of curiosity. I’m aware that in general one should not need to perform such a check :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hauleth

hauleth

The problem is that it is pretty hard to differentiate between “compile time” and “run time” as “compile time” is “run time with saving created modules to .beam files”.

You can check __CALLER__.function to detect whether macro was called within function body or outside of it.

hst337

hst337

compiling? = is_list(Process.get(:elixir_module_binaries))
But as @hauleth pointed out, difference between runtime and compile time is ephemeral. Compilation can happen in runtime, and anything can be called during compilation

addrummond

addrummond OP

Yes, sorry, I did not make this clear in my question. I’m interested to know if the code is being called during compilation, not necessarily at some mythical ‘compile time’.

Given that, I think your suggestion should work! Thank you.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

That distinction doesn’t change anything he said though, you can still generate a module at runtime and compile it and for it what is happening will be “compile time”. You really should revise what you really want to achieve with this and consider other ways, this can very easily bite you in the rear in the most inopportune moment in the future.

addrummond

addrummond OP

Yes, I’m aware of that and clarified what I meant in the comment that you’re replying to: I’m interested to know if the code is being called during compilation. I assume hissssst’s expression would evaluate to true in the scenario you describe, which is exactly what I want.

hst337

hst337

To be precise, expression evaluates to true, only if the process is compiling the Elixir module. Some processes can be present during the compilation, but this expression would return false in them, since these processes are not compiling anything.

addrummond

addrummond OP

I see, yes, thanks for the clarification, hissssst.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

We’re talking past each other. What I described is also “during compilation”. :smiley:

addrummond

addrummond OP

What I described is also “during compilation”

Yes, I know. And I want the expression to evaluate to true in that context, so I don’t see the problem.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I use the following code in ex_cldr to detect if Elixir is compiling. The mechanism changed from Elixir 1.11, hence the conditional check:

  def compiling? do
    # TODO: When we depend on Elixir v1.11+ only, remove function_exported and elixir_compiler_pid
    process_alive?(:can_await_module_compilation?) ||
      process_alive?(:elixir_compiler_pid)
  end

  defp process_alive?(:can_await_module_compilation?) do
    Code.ensure_loaded?(Code) &&
      function_exported?(Code, :can_await_module_compilation?, 0) &&
      apply(Code, :can_await_module_compilation?, [])
  end

  defp process_alive?(name) do
    case Process.get(name) do
      nil -> false
      pid when is_pid(pid) -> true
    end
  end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews