Is it possible to have a different Repo for the Oban Postgres notifier?

We’re using pgbouncer in front of Heroku Postgres (this runs in transactional mode) which means we can’t use the Oban notifier out of the box. I see that we could use the repeater plugin to solve this but I was hoping it might still be possible to get this working with the Postgres notifier.

To achieve this I believe I can create a new Repo module that connects directly to the database and configure Oban with this. However this would mean all of my Oban.inserts that aren’t part of a multi would also skip past pgbouncer which isn’t desirable for us.

Is it possible to have all Oban connections go through the pooling and have a separate connection for the notifier that is direct to the database?

I believe Oban has this Oban.Plugins.Repeater — Oban v2.8.0 for that situation.

Yes that’s correct and is what we’re currently using. I’m not completely sold on this approach however since it involves using a polling interval which gives me the impression we might be processing jobs slower compared to the postgres notifier approach.

That’s why the repeater plugin exists, for transaction pooling mode in pg_bouncer. There are three options:

1. Switch pg_bouncer from transaction to session mode. There are tradeoffs, but everything in Oban will work without additional plugins.
  2. Switch to a different notifier module, like pg in Pro. This isn’t a viable option for you because you’re on Heroku and distributed Erlang doesn’t work. It also wouldn’t get trigger-based notifications, so you’d still be polling for new jobs.
  3. Use the repeater plugin as you are :+1:

The default polling interval is 1s. That will only make a difference for idle queues. If the queue has a continuous stream of jobs then the producer will keep fetching them when it has more availability, regardless of the polling interval.

2 Likes

The default polling interval is 1s . That will only make a difference for idle queues. If the queue has a continuous stream of jobs then the producer will keep fetching them when it has more availability, regardless of the polling interval.

I misunderstood how the polling was working, thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes