newton-peixoto
Hello everyone, I’d like to know if is possible to execute all “populary known” algorithms in elixir. I’m asking that because most of algorithms use arrays for example and as far as I known elixir does not implement those so my question is if is possible to implement such algorithms with the same performance as in those languages that implement such data-structures.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
Algorithms designed around mutable datastructures will not translate directly into Elixir, nor will they perform the same. If you’re trying to get things done in Elixir this generally isn’t an issue as it just pushes you to reframe the problem into something more amenable to immutable datastructures, which gets you some side benefits along the way.
If your goal is to practice algorithms on mutable datastructures however then I’d pick a language that has those natively.
hauleth
Possible to implement - yes. Will these perform equally well as in other languages? It depends on the algorithm. If such algorithm requires random access structures that can be cheaply updated, then implementing them in performant manner in Elixir will be hard, but you still will be able to do so (as per Church-Turing thesis).
newton-peixoto
I don’t think I get it. Talking about leetcode problems some of them has big O constraints and the solution to achieve such constraint is to use specific data structures those sometimes dont exist in functional languages so those kind of problems cant be solved in a “good time complexity”?
hauleth
Complexity analysis is always constrained. For example in C++ you can do:
[link]
And it will have
O(n log n)“real” complexity despite the fact thatstd::binary_searchis (by the standard) defined to haveO(log n)complexity (the reason why there is such complexity and how C++ standard committee slipped that stuff there is left for the curious reader).arcadian
If you’re just doing it for educational purposes, sure. I came across a project like that in ruby a while back - implementations of pure ruby data structures like a red-black tree, a priority queue, etc. If you want actually useful data structures though, you’ll need to build them in C / C++ or something similar and then import the library as a nif.
cjbottaro
Ok, I’m curious…
If an array is already sorted, how is binary searching it not O(log n)?
Is it because in your example it’s a list and not an array where elements can be accessed in constant time?
hauleth
Indeed. Because it is list, and advancing iterator over list is
O(n)notO(1)