innocentoldguy

innocentoldguy

I am seeing this issue in:
Elixir 1.15.0
Phoenix: 1.7.6
LiveView: 0.19.0

I’m having an issue with passing TailwindCSS values into a LiveView Function Component and can’t figure out why it isn’t working as expected. Here’s an example that works:

Function Component:

defmodule Example.Components.SVG do
  use Phoenix.Component
  
  attr :height, :string, default: "h-16"
  attr :width, :string, default: "w-16"

  def image(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <div class={"#{@height} #{@width} bg-red-500"}></div>
    <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
    """
  end
end

HEEX Template

<Example.Components.SVG.image height="h-8" width="h-8">
  This is a test.
</Example.Components.SVG.image>

The code snippets above render this HTML <div class="h-8 w-8 bg-red-500>...</div> and display correctly in the browser.

The above code works, but since I always want this DIV to be a square, it seems more efficient to do this:
Function Component

defmodule Example.Components.SVG do
  use Phoenix.Component
  
  attr :size, :string, default: "16"

  def image(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <div class={"h-#{@size} w-#{@size} bg-red-300"}></div>
    <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
    """
  end
end

HEEX Template

<Example.Components.SVG.image size="8">
  This is a test.
</Example.Components.SVG.image>

The second set of code snippets also render this HTML <div class="h-8 w-8 bg-red-500>...</div> ; however, they do not render correctly in the browser. Instead, the browser behaves as if no CSS exists at all.

This is true for ALL TailwindCSS classes. For example, if I try to use string interpolation to render different shades of red:

This works <.custom_tag background="bg-red-300"> → class={"#{@background} ..."}

This fails to render <.custom_tag background="300"> → class={"bg-red-#{@background} ..."}

Both code snippets will produce this HTML: <div class="bg-red-300">...</div>

However, only the first example renders correctly. The browser ignores the second CSS completely, even though it is identical.

Is this just a shortcoming of LiveView in Chrome, or is there something special I need to do to in order to use string interpolation to generate part of a TailwindCSS class?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dkulchenko

dkulchenko

This is a limitation of Tailwind, unrelated to Phoenix or LiveView. Search for the “Dynamic class names” section here: Detecting classes in source files - Core concepts - Tailwind CSS

You have to have the full class name (unbroken) present someplace in the code for the Tailwind JIT to include it in your CSS bundle.

The reason you’re not seeing anything when you construct the class name dynamically is that those classes are not being ”seen” and thus not built by Tailwind.

innocentoldguy

innocentoldguy OP

Thanks! I remember this about Tailwind now that you say it.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews