vrod

vrod

I have been working with the ideas from this post: Is it possible to run migrations as a different user? - #5 by hauleth about running migrations as a different user. This is for running on production machine for security reasons we do not wish to allow the app to have permissions to create or modify tables.

Is it possible to build a mix task into an executable? Like escript? Because then we could use OptionParser or similar to read command-line arguments. Or maybe that is too difficult because it would need this separate script to connect to the same PostGres database (but using a different username/password). Maybe it is better to simply prompt the user for input from iex? Perhaps using something like Cowrie — cowrie v0.5.0 ?

I hope am explaining this situation clearly. I’m not sure what options are possible.

Thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 1

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

I would go with two different repos MyApp.Repo for the app and MyApp.Migrator.Repo for the migrations with another credentials.

Then within an Application.start_phase/3 one calls

{:ok, pid} = MyApp.Migrator.Repo.start_link()
Ecto.Migrator.run(MyApp.Migrator.Repo, :up, all: true)
:ok = MyApp.Migrator.Repo.stop(pid)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews