axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I know that you can tell the phoenix server to start manually? I know you can start the server automatically with mix phx.start or by setting server: true in your Endpoint configuration, but I don’t see a way to start it manually after the Endpoint is already started.

My use-case is that if a given port is already taken, I want to start on the next available port. I suppose one workaround is to set server: true but then don’t start the endpoint in the initial supervision tree and use a DynamicSupervisor or similar to start the endpoint manually. Tried this and it doesn’t work :cry: If I change the port than the server doesn’t start. Is this just unsupported in Phoenix?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

It looks like I’ll have to use the init/2 callback on an Endpoint: Phoenix.Endpoint — Phoenix v1.8.8

Although I’m not sure how I’ll handle the restart and increment logic with that yet

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

Okay, here is what I ended up with:

Instead of adding MyApp.Endpoint directly to my supervision tree I am adding this LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor that uses DynamicSupervisor to start up my Phoenix Endpoint, incrementing the port if it fails to startup initially.

defmodule LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor do
  @moduledoc """
  Starts up Phoenix, but controls the port with application configuration,
  increments the port until Phoenix starts up successfully.
  """
  use GenServer

  def start_link(_, name \\ __MODULE__) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, nil, name: name)
  end

  def init(_) do
    initial_port = initial_port()

    start_phoenix(initial_port, initial_port)
  end

  defp start_phoenix(initial_port, port) when port - initial_port < 15 do
    set_port(port)

    DynamicSupervisor.start_child(LsppWeb.DynamicSupervisor, LsppWebWeb.Endpoint)
    |> interpret_results()
    |> case do
      {:ok, _} -> {:ok, []}
      {:error, :eaddrinuse} -> start_phoenix(initial_port, port + 1)
    end
  end

  defp start_phoenix(_, _) do
    {:error, :ports_exhausted}
  end

  def get_port, do: Application.get_env(:lspp_web, :phoenix_port)

  defp set_port(port) do
    Application.put_env(:lspp_web, :phoenix_port, port)
  end

  defp interpret_results({:ok, pid}), do: {:ok, pid}

  defp interpret_results({:error, error}) do
    case error do
      {:shutdown,
       {:failed_to_start_child, {:ranch_listener_sup, LsppWebWeb.Endpoint.HTTP},
        {:shutdown,
         {:failed_to_start_child, :ranch_acceptors_sup,
          {:listen_error, LsppWebWeb.Endpoint.HTTP, :eaddrinuse}}}}} ->
        {:error, :eaddrinuse}
    end
  end

  defp initial_port do
    cond do
      port = System.get_env("PORT") ->
        String.to_integer(port)

      config = Application.get_env(:lspp_web, LsppWebWeb.Endpoint) ->
        get_in(config, [:http, :port])

      true ->
        raise "Port not set"
    end
  end
end

Then in LsppWeb.Endpoint I define an init/2 callback:

  def init(supervisor, config) do
    port = LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor.get_port()
    config = put_in(config[:http], [:inet6, {:port, port}])

    {:ok, config}
  end

Any feedback or critique is welcome. The ugliest part of the code right now is how I shuttle the new port through the application environment. I suppose since LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor is a GenServer maybe that could be handled with a GenServer.call, but then I would need another GenServer/process since currently LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor doesn’t finish it’s startup until my LsppWeb.Endpoint has finished.

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

Might be not what you want, but just in case, you can try setting the port to 0 in your config, then cowboy would ask ranch would ask gen tcp would ask OS for a random available port (gen_tcp — OTP 29.0.2 (kernel 11.0.2)).

If Port == 0, the underlying OS assigns an available port number, useinet:port/1 to retrieve it.

You can then fetch the port by using something like :ranch.get_port(YourAppWeb.Endpoint.HTTP). If you are not sure what module name plug decided to use for you cowboy server, try runing :ets.i(:ranch_server) in iex.

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

Ah that is interesting, didn’t know about that option. But for this case I’d prefer to know what ports the server would possibly be running on.

idi527

idi527

You can probably also use :gen_tcp.listen/2 to check if the port is taken, and only after that start the phoenix app. It would probably simplify the logic a bit (no need for dynamic supervisors, just a function that runs before the application starts).

def find_port(port) do
  case :gen_tcp.listen(port, []) do
    {:ok, socket} ->
      :gen_tcp.close(socket)
      port
    {:error, :eaddrinuse} ->
      find_port(port + 1)
  end
end
axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

Hmm, that does seem like it would clean up a bunch. Especially my crazy error checking pattern match. I’ll ty it out :+1:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews