Is it possible to start a Phoenix Server manually?

I know that you can tell the phoenix server to start manually? I know you can start the server automatically with mix phx.start or by setting server: true in your Endpoint configuration, but I don’t see a way to start it manually after the Endpoint is already started.

My use-case is that if a given port is already taken, I want to start on the next available port. I suppose one workaround is to set server: true but then don’t start the endpoint in the initial supervision tree and use a DynamicSupervisor or similar to start the endpoint manually. Tried this and it doesn’t work :cry: If I change the port than the server doesn’t start. Is this just unsupported in Phoenix?

4 Likes

It looks like I’ll have to use the init/2 callback on an Endpoint: https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/Phoenix.Endpoint.html#module-dynamic-configuration

Although I’m not sure how I’ll handle the restart and increment logic with that yet

4 Likes

Okay, here is what I ended up with:

Instead of adding MyApp.Endpoint directly to my supervision tree I am adding this LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor that uses DynamicSupervisor to start up my Phoenix Endpoint, incrementing the port if it fails to startup initially.

defmodule LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor do
  @moduledoc """
  Starts up Phoenix, but controls the port with application configuration,
  increments the port until Phoenix starts up successfully.
  """
  use GenServer

def start_link(_, name \\ __MODULE__) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, nil, name: name)
  end

def init(_) do
    initial_port = initial_port()

start_phoenix(initial_port, initial_port)
  end

defp start_phoenix(initial_port, port) when port - initial_port < 15 do
    set_port(port)

DynamicSupervisor.start_child(LsppWeb.DynamicSupervisor, LsppWebWeb.Endpoint)
    |> interpret_results()
    |> case do
      {:ok, _} -> {:ok, []}
      {:error, :eaddrinuse} -> start_phoenix(initial_port, port + 1)
    end
  end

defp start_phoenix(_, _) do
    {:error, :ports_exhausted}
  end

def get_port, do: Application.get_env(:lspp_web, :phoenix_port)

defp set_port(port) do
    Application.put_env(:lspp_web, :phoenix_port, port)
  end

defp interpret_results({:ok, pid}), do: {:ok, pid}

defp interpret_results({:error, error}) do
    case error do
      {:shutdown,
       {:failed_to_start_child, {:ranch_listener_sup, LsppWebWeb.Endpoint.HTTP},
        {:shutdown,
         {:failed_to_start_child, :ranch_acceptors_sup,
          {:listen_error, LsppWebWeb.Endpoint.HTTP, :eaddrinuse}}}}} ->
        {:error, :eaddrinuse}
    end
  end

defp initial_port do
    cond do
      port = System.get_env("PORT") ->
        String.to_integer(port)

config = Application.get_env(:lspp_web, LsppWebWeb.Endpoint) ->
        get_in(config, [:http, :port])

true ->
        raise "Port not set"
    end
  end
end

Then in LsppWeb.Endpoint I define an init/2 callback:

def init(supervisor, config) do
    port = LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor.get_port()
    config = put_in(config[:http], [:inet6, {:port, port}])

{:ok, config}
  end

Any feedback or critique is welcome. The ugliest part of the code right now is how I shuttle the new port through the application environment. I suppose since LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor is a GenServer maybe that could be handled with a GenServer.call, but then I would need another GenServer/process since currently LsppWeb.PhoenixPortSupervisor doesn’t finish it’s startup until my LsppWeb.Endpoint has finished.

4 Likes

:wave:

Might be not what you want, but just in case, you can try setting the port to 0 in your config, then cowboy would ask ranch would ask gen tcp would ask OS for a random available port (Erlang -- gen_tcp).

If Port == 0, the underlying OS assigns an available port number, useinet:port/1 to retrieve it.

You can then fetch the port by using something like :ranch.get_port(YourAppWeb.Endpoint.HTTP). If you are not sure what module name plug decided to use for you cowboy server, try runing :ets.i(:ranch_server) in iex.

3 Likes

Ah that is interesting, didn’t know about that option. But for this case I’d prefer to know what ports the server would possibly be running on.

You can probably also use :gen_tcp.listen/2 to check if the port is taken, and only after that start the phoenix app. It would probably simplify the logic a bit (no need for dynamic supervisors, just a function that runs before the application starts).

def find_port(port) do
  case :gen_tcp.listen(port, []) do
    {:ok, socket} ->
      :gen_tcp.close(socket)
      port
    {:error, :eaddrinuse} ->
      find_port(port + 1)
  end
end
4 Likes

Hmm, that does seem like it would clean up a bunch. Especially my crazy error checking pattern match. I’ll ty it out :+1: