Red
I’m developing a Phoenix application with a simple read/write functionality. All my friends insist that I should write only backend in Phoenix, but use one of the JavaScript frameworks for the front end (meteor, react, etc.) Should I follow their advice? The only reason I don’t want to mess with JavaScript is because I don’t know it well enough, which will set me back significantly. Plus, each framework has it’s own syntax I need learn in addition. So 1 month project will easily become 3-6 months project.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
andre1sk
Are there any specific requirements that can only be satisfied by using one?
OvermindDL1
And ‘what’ are you making? How front-end heavy is it? Is it highly dynamic? Is it static? Etc…?
Red
Actually, there are no hard requirements. My client just want to test the idea if it’s worth doing. I was going to develop something quick and dirty, and then refactor if I need to.
Red
It’s a fashion news website similar to Hacker News. Users can submit various posts about fashion industry, celebrities, etc., and then discuss them.
andre1sk
It will sure work fine will not be as refined though (no on the fly validations, page reloads etc.) but as MVP to test the waters it can work (provided your client is fine with limitations ).
Red
@andre1sk So you would still recommend to rewrite the frontend with JavaScript later on because it provides better experience?
andre1sk
If you want to provide optimal user experience at least in the form of client side form validations it’s hard to get away from using js.
Red
That makes sense. Could you recommend a framework that fits my project the best? Or any will do? My top 3 list:
andre1sk
I would strongly recommend against Meteor
You don’t have to build an SPA so simple jquery might be enough depending on you project needs.
Riot is fun (never used in a production project though) but if you are going to dedicate a lot of effort to learning js and a framework one of the big three might be a better investment of your time React (not a framework but…), Angular(2) or Ember.
Red
Thanks! Scratching out Meteor off my list. Forgot about good-old jQuery. That should be enough to keep me going.