ozymandias
Hi everyone. I’m pretty new to Elixir and Phoenix, and I chose it to build a web app mainly to learn a new ecosystem. It has been a lonely journey so far, so I really don’t know how people structure projects and infrastructure on a professional setting. My question is this, how strongly do you adhere to the folder layout of the generated code? Is that the standard most people use, or is it common to deviate from it as projects grow?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
eahanson
In my experience, having worked on ~15 Elixir projects for various clients and employers, it is common to use the generated structure. However, I now use a different structure that I much prefer.
LostKobrakai
I’d say that it’s common to follow the structure loosely. More so for the myapp_web folder and less so for the myapp folder. In the end phoenix really only suggests a way to structure the core portion of your app and doesn’t want to prescribe anything there.
ozymandias
I was mainly concerned with how new people would feel whein joining a non standard project, like this, but I guess it can’t be too bad. Thanks for the quick responses and the ecouragement
dimitarvp
Well, live-
grep’ing will always exist. I care exactly zero about project structure when I get hired to work on existing ones. I just start looking for the bits and pieces that integrate with the framework(s) and from then on it’s trivial to follow the dependency graph.(And I used to care about this stuff. A lot. But came to realize that it’s not as important as I thought – and it might even have near-zero importance, barring the unlikely cases where somebody basically sabotages the readability and intuitive understanding of projects, which never happened to me.)
LostKobrakai
If you’re looking for more structure you want to look at Ash. It has opinions on what the primitives of an application should be. Phoenix doesn’t.