Exadra37

Exadra37

I am playing around with Observer, and I am able to connect to any application I have running on the same docker network.

I start the application from each docker container like:

elixir --cookie super-long-secret-cookie --sname app1 -S mix phoenix.server

and I start the observer from another docker container with:

erl -sname observer -hidden -setcookie super-long-secret-cookie  -run observer

In the Observer GUI interface I am able to connect to app1 and app2 without any problem, and see them working as expected, but each time I need to swap between app1 and app2 I need to reenter the de node details to reconnect, because in the Nodes menu it does not keep a list of all apps I am connecting to during the current session…

So my expectation is to see a list of all nodes I have already connected to, and be able to click in any to reconnect to it, but as we can see in the image I only have the observer node itself, and none of the nodes of the app I have already connected to in this Observer session… is this the actual behavior of Observer or is just me having an issue with it?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

I found the solution…

I was starting Observer with the Erlang shell instead of the Elixir shell.

So instead of using:

erl -sname observer -hidden -setcookie super-long-secret-cookie  -run observer

I need to use:

iex --sname observeriex --cookie super-long-secret-cookie -e ":observer.start"
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Actually it was because you were using -hidden on the initial call, that means it doesn’t join the BEAM mesh (so you only see the thing you explicitly named and nothing else) but rather only joins that specific node. :slight_smile:

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

Good catch, but still not working with:

erl -sname observer -setcookie super-long-secret-cookie  -run observer
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

How is it not working? You aren’t connected to a mesh network yet at that point, need to do that before observer launches as I recall. :slight_smile:

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

Thanks to point it out… I indeed forgot to connect to the node…

So the correct command is indeed:

iex --name 'observer@172.24.0.3'  --cookie 'super-long-secret-cookie' -e 'Node.connect(:"node_name@172.24.0.2")' -e ":observer.start()"

I am still learning all this stuff, and at same toime building a Docker stack for development in Elixir with all the tooling available.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

So that worked all for you? Awesome! :slight_smile:

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

Well the weird part is that if I put the command in a bash script with a variable to replace the node connect bit it will not work, but works fine if is only plain text…

#!/bin/bash

set -eu

Main()
{
  ##############################################################################
  # INPUT
  ##############################################################################

    if [ "$#" -ge 1 ]; then
        local node_name="${1? Missing node name!!!}"
        local node_address="${2? Missing node address!!!}"
        local node_cookie="${3? Missing node cookie!!!}"

        local app_node_name="${node_name}@${node_address}"
    else
        # GET FROM ENVIRONMENT WHEN NO ARGUMENTS ARE PASSED TO THE SCRIPT
        app_node_name="${APP_NODE_NAME}"
        node_cookie="${APP_NODE_COOKIE}"
    fi

    local observer_node_name="observer@$(hostname -i)"


  ##############################################################################
  # EXECUTION
  ##############################################################################

    node_connect="Node.connect(:\"${APP_NODE_NAME}\")"

    # DOES NOT CONNECT THE NODE: -e "${node_connect}"
    iex --name "${observer_node_name}"  --cookie "${node_cookie}" -e "${node_connect}" -e ":observer.start()"

    # BUT THIS WORKS FINE FROM INSIDE THIS SCRIPT OR EXECUTED DIRECTLY FROM A TERMINAL
    iex --name 'observer@172.24.0.3'  --cookie 'super-long-secret-cookie' -e 'Node.connect(:"node_name@172.24.0.2")' -e ":observer.start()"
}

Main "${@}"
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Hmm, put echo before your iex --name "${observer_node_name}" --cookie "${node_cookie}" -e "${node_connect}" -e ":observer.start()" line to become echo iex --name "${observer_node_name}" --cookie "${node_cookie}" -e "${node_connect}" -e ":observer.start()" and see what it prints out and if everything is appearing properly interpolated and matching your working line (excepting "'s and so forth of course)? Are you sure the shell is not interpolating out your "'s in the :"node_name@blah" part and so forth? I don’t quite remember the rules of bash in interpolation but I know the way it interpolates is rather broken so it wouldn’t surprise me (I use ZSH, which is basically bash done right, though I keep my scripts to full posix shell mode regardless).

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

Bingo you found it… It was splinting the command into a new line… I was not able to found how the string end ups with the new line, but I fixed it before I build the command with:

# REMOVING UNWANTED STUFF
    local app_node_name="$(echo ${app_node_name} | tr -d '\n\r\t')"

So the full working script is now:

#!/bin/bash

set -eu

Main()
{
  ##############################################################################
  # INPUT
  ##############################################################################

    if [ "$#" -ge 1 ]; then
        local node_name="${1? Missing node name!!!}"
        local node_address="${2? Missing node address!!!}"
        local node_cookie="${3? Missing node cookie!!!}"

        local app_node_name="${node_name}@${node_address}"
    else
        # GET FROM ENVIRONMENT WHEN NO ARGUMENTS ARE PASSED TO THE SCRIPT
        app_node_name="${APP_NODE_NAME}"
        node_cookie="${APP_NODE_COOKIE}"
    fi

    local observer_node_name="observer@$(hostname -i)"


  ##############################################################################
  # EXECUTION
  ##############################################################################

    # REMOVING UNWANTED STUFF
    local app_node_name="$(echo ${app_node_name} | tr -d '\n\r\t')"

    local node_connect="Node.connect(:\"${app_node_name}\")"

    iex --name "${observer_node_name}"  --cookie "${node_cookie}" -e "${node_connect}" -e ":observer.start()"

}

Main "${@}"

My default shell is also zsh with oh-my-zsh plugin, but scripting I do in sh by default and resort to bash only when I really need a bash-ism :wink:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That tells me that there was bad input on the commandline or an an env-var, which you could fix by ‘removing’ the appropriate "'s around them (you really only need to keep those if whitespace or newlines are important, otherwise by not having it then it will collapse to a single line with single spaces instead of repeated spaces).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews