llama

llama

I’m assuming the answer is ‘yes’, but I need confirmation.

Is the socket private to the server/code? For example, if I assign user info to the socket, that information will not change until I explicitly change it and a malicious user can’t do something on their end to change it?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

trisolaran

trisolaran

The answer to your first question is yes, the socket state is controlled by a process on the server side. So only your server-side code can modify the socket state.

However, whether “a malicious user can do something on their end to change it” depends on the security of your implementation. A malicious user has complete control of the code running on their end (the JS client) and you should never assume that information coming from the client is valid or trustworthy.

So, for instance, if you naively set a user_id in your socket only because the client told you “this is my user id, trust me!” like this:

def handle_in("hello_msg", %{"user_id" => user_id}, socket) do
  {:noreply, assign(socket, :user_id, user_id)}
end

You’re of course opening yourself up to every kind of exploit.

The general rule (in Phoenix or in any other web application) is: always assume that whatever comes from the client has been manipulated by an attacker :slight_smile:

I hope this helps

llama

llama OP

Thank you, that helps and brings me peace of mind :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews