Is there a guide about how to use HIPE in elixir?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f113f35ad20> #<Tag:0x00007f113f35ab40>

I have some questions about this:

• Is everything compiled and ran by mix already using hipe, after running iex I see that hipe shows on the message

Erlang/OTP 19 [erts-8.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false] [dtrace]

Interactive Elixir (1.3.2) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)

• How can I compile only an specific module in erlang I can add the attribute module -compile()

• Is there a guide about when we should use HIPE and how to use it on elixir?

You use hipe exactly the same way you do it in erlang - with a module attribute. The syntax in elixir is @compile .... The hipe bit in the VM manifest is merely stating that this VM has support for hipe-compiled programs.

Hipe doesn’t work too good if you have a code that switches often between hipe and non-hipe code - the switches are expensive.

I never used HiPE per module attribute in erlang, but using {erl_opts, [{native, o3}]} in my rebar.config.

So could you please provide a full example of how to activate HiPE for a single module, and for the complete project as well?

Check this chapter

There is an ElixirSips video showing how to use HiPE

For the record, you can set the env-var ERLC_COMPILER_OPTIONS with options to be passed to erlc when compiling Erlang and Elixir code (because Elixir code gets translated to Erlang).

e…g. to compile only your deps native:

ERL_COMPILER_OPTIONS="native" mix deps.compile

You know it’s working if compiling takes much longer!