marcandre

marcandre

Custom types do not use load/dump when embedded.

Then may use dump if they define embed_as to return :dump, but there is no way to use load or any other mechanism then cast when loading data.

  1. Is there a good reason for this design? The asymmetry in dumping / loading is a bit odd to me.

Moreover the fact that cast has to be called when loading from the DB can be quite inconvenient. While returning :error when casting user data (e.g. from a form) is very useful, if I have invalid data stored in my DB then returning :error result in a raised exception, which is blocking. Moreover, there’s no way to know within cast if I’m loading from the DB or casting user data.

  1. Documentation for load is very misleading, e.g.

There are two situations where this callback is called:

  1. When casting values by Ecto.Changeset
  2. When passing arguments to Ecto.Query

Clearly, this is incomplete and there is an extra situation “3. When loading data in an embedded schema”.

I can propose a PR but would appreciate to know if there’s every a plan to support custom loading for embedded types.

Thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 3

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

Maybe try posting this on the Ecto dev group as well.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

We can always add a new value to em embed_as, we just need to understand the use case. The reason it was designed like this is because most embedding is done as JSON, which is a lossy format. And PRs to improve the docs are always welcome.

marcandre

marcandre OP

Thank you. I went another way for now, so I’m not 100% confident about my usecase :sweat_smile:. I created a PR for the doc, thanks :heart:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews