Is there a way to have poolboy manage supervisors?

I’ve done some digging in the poolboy source and it appears the child_spec function forces the type to worker.

Two questions:

1. Is there some way around that other than writing the child_spec myself manually?
  2. Is there something bad that would happen if poolboy were managing supervisors instead of workers?

Could you please share why you want poolboy to manage supervisors dynamically ?

I think worker / supervisor in the child spec is mostly about how much time is given for the process to shut itself down.

I haven’t seen it being mentioned in the docs, but maybe there is something in the source code for the supervisor behaviour.

But that only makes a difference if the shutdown is not provided in the child spec.

Also worker/supervisor processes seem to be counted differently (when calling count_children), but that probably doesn’t have huge runtime implications.

A library that I’m using generates connections that are supervisors of a couple processes necessary to maintain the connection. It technically maintains the actual connection as a child to the supervisor, but every function that you pass a process to, it expects you to pass the supervisor. Thus, I’m interested in maintaining a pool of the connection’s supervisor.

Thanks, I was more curious if there would be some reason that poolboy would care specifically. I’ll probably trudge ahead anyways, since I can write the child spec myself. I’ll probably create an issue with poolboy and this’ll be an enhancement or they’ll tell me it’s a bad idea.

As far as Erlang goes, some of the things that could be affected were addressed in the last question I asked. What happens if you supervise a supervisor as a worker?

There is a post by @rvirding regarding this in the forum. The worker / supervisor distinction affects restart and how a process is killed.

I would likely roll my own process pooler. It is perhaps the most rewritten piece of Erlang application out there because not all situations fit poolboy.