neurodynamic

neurodynamic

I have an app that has a few pages where the html is just a single tag with an id that a javascript app gets loaded into. I do want those pages to load with the standard layouts/app.html.heex layout, but it seems silly to me to have a separate function in a separate file for just <div id="app-target"></div>. Is there a way to call something like the Phoenix.Controller.html function in a way that you can (1) pass it some .heex sigil code, and (2) have it render with the app’s layout included?

Basically, I want to be able to do something like this:

defmodule MyAppWeb.MyController do
  use MyAppWeb, :controller

  def show(conn, _params) do
    conn
    |> heex(~H"""
    <div id="app-target"></div>
    """
    , assign_1: "some assign for app.html.heex layout", assign_2: "some other assign for app.html.heex layout")
  end
end

Is this possible?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

lubien

lubien

If you have a variable called assigns you can do heex.

This code or something close to it should be valid if you import the sigil:

assigns = %{foo: 123}

my_heex = ~H"""
<%= @foo %>
"""

Then assign to your Conn my_heex. I can’t test right now as I’m far from a computer though

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

Just as @lubien said!
Only it would return %Phoenix.LiveView.Rendered{} struct which can be converted to IO data to send to client via Phoenix.HTML.Safe.to_iodata/1

import Phoenix.Component

assigns = %{foo: 123}
rendered = ~H"<%= @foo %>"
content = Phoenix.HTML.Safe.to_iodata(rendered)
text(conn, content)
neurodynamic

neurodynamic OP

Ooh, interesting! Thank you both for this. I’ve got a cute little function that looks like this now that seems to be working really well:


      def heex(conn, heex_function), do: heex(conn, %{}, heex_function)

      def heex(conn, assigns, heex_function) do
        assigns = Map.merge(conn.assigns, assigns)
        content = heex_function.(assigns) |> Phoenix.HTML.Safe.to_iodata()

        html(conn, content)
      end
neurodynamic

neurodynamic OP

For anyone who’s curious, I have not figured out how to get this function to apply the app’s normal layouts in the traditional way with this technique, but I did figure out a decent workaround. I changed the <%= @inner_content %> line in app.html.heex and root.html.heex from this

    <%= @inner_content %>

to this

    <%= if assigns[:inner_content] do %>
      <%= @inner_content %>
    <% else %>
      <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
    <% end %>

and now when I call the heex function, I can just add them around the heex template explicitly so the end result looks like this:

    conn
    |> heex(
      %{title: "Page title"},
      fn assigns ->
        ~H"""
        <Layouts.root page_title={@title}>
          <Layouts.app>
            <div id="app-target"></div>
          </Layouts.app>
        </Layouts.root>
        """
      end
    )

and it seems to be working out just fine.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews