Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I am reading a book called “Learning Domain Driven Design” (DDD). In this book there are some code samples, usually in C#. Since I am trying to grok these concepts as best as I can, and since I am trying to turn this into material that other people can learn from as well, I took it upon myself to convert the code into Elixir format.

I have on thing in mind only: If you didn’t know about Elixir, would this code be easy to understand?

I aim to convert the C#-like code from the book into Elixir, so I can make presentations to people and help them both understand the basic concepts of DDD while making them familiar with Elixir.

Code

I am tackling chapter 5, specifically the Transaction Script. In this hypothetical scenario, we have a database that must log user visits. The Entity Diagram for this imaginary database is as follows:

The original code by the author is the following:

public class LogVisit
{
  // ... setup code ...
  
  public void Execute(Guid userId, DateTime visitedOn){
    _db.Execute("UPDATE Users SET last_visit=@p1 WHERE user_id=@p2", visitedOn, userId);

    _db.Execute(@"INSERT INTO VisitsLog(user_id, visit_date) VALUES(@p1, @p2)", userId, visitedOn);
  }
}

Elixir Conversion

The direct translation of that code into Elixir would be the following (or close to it):

  @spec execute_v1(integer(), String.t()) :: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.query_result()
  def execute_v1(user_id, visited_on) do
    Repo.query!("UPDATE \"user\" SET last_visit=\'#{visited_on}\' WHERE id=#{user_id}")

    Repo.query!(
      "INSERT INTO \"visit\" (user_id, visit_date) VALUES (#{user_id}, \'#{visited_on}\');"
    )
  end

I feel this is equal enough to the original, if you understand the original, I believe you will also understand this one.

The issue now comes when I try to improve upon it. My aim here is to make this code idiomatic to elixir. This means using Ecto and many other Elixir constructs.

My first iteration is as follows:

@spec execute_v2(integer(), DateTime.t()) :: :ok | {:error, any()}
  def execute_v2(user_id, visited_on) do
    with {:ok, user} <- get_user(user_id),
         :ok <- update_user(user, visited_on) do
      insert_new_visit(user_id, visited_on)
    end
  end

  @spec get_user(integer) :: {:ok, Schema.t()} | {:error, :user_not_found}
  defp get_user(user_id) do
    case Repo.get(User, user_id) do
      nil -> {:error, :user_not_found}
      %User{} = user -> {:ok, user}
    end
  end

  @spec update_user(Schema.t(), DateTime.t()) :: :ok | {:error, Changeset.t()}
  defp update_user(user, visited_on) do
    user
    |> User.changeset(%{last_visit: visited_on})
    |> Repo.update()
    |> case do
      {:ok, _user} -> :ok
      error -> error
    end
  end

  @spec insert_new_visit(integer(), DateTime.t()) :: :ok | {:error, Changeset.t()}
  defp insert_new_visit(user_id, visited_on) do
    %Visit{user_id: user_id, visit_date: visited_on}
    |> Repo.insert()
    |> case do
      {:ok, _visit} -> :ok
      error -> error
    end
  end

If you have never seen Elixir before, I fear this may be too much. I have 3 functions instead of 1, I am using constructs that many people won’t recognize (with) and I am not sure that using the pipe operator |> and the case expressions is obvious enough.

On top of that I am also using Ecto.Changeset, which is a discussion on its own.

However, I feel like I need Ecto here, because this example is then expanded on in order to add transactions with a classical try-catch:

public class LogVisit
{
  // ... setup code ...
  
  public void Execute(Guid userId, DateTime visitedOn){
    try{
      _db.StartTransaction();

      _db.Execute("UPDATE Users SET last_visit=@p1 WHERE user_id=@p2", visitedOn, userId);
      _db.Execute(@"INSERT INTO VisitsLog(user_id, visit_date) VALUES(@p1, @p2)", userId, visitedOn);

      _db.Commit();
    } catch {
      _db.Rollback();
      throw;
    }
  }
}

Questions

  • As someone new to the technology, would this be easy for you to understand?
  • Is there a way to make this example more idiomatic to Elixir, without increasing the complexity too much?
  • What is the simplest code you could write that would mimic both the naive version and the transaction version?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

acrolink

acrolink

You should look into this:

pjode

pjode

def execute(user_id, %DateTime{} = visited_on) do
  Repo.transact(fn ->
    %User{id: user_id}
    |> Ecto.Changeset.change(%{visited_on: visited_on})
    |> Repo.update!()

    %Visit{user_id: user_id, visit_date: visited_on}
    |> Repo.insert!()
  end)
end

quick example I typed up to maybe help you get going.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

I see, you removed the @spec which in itself already makes the code easier for newcomers to digest, you also avoid fetching the user first. I very much like this version, it is definitely shorter and easier to introduce !

I can see a world where using Multi with transact would make the code easy/simple enough that introducing such concepts would make sense. I am not yet sold on Multi, but thanks for the idea !

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

IMO a better translation would also use parameters, to avoid the obvious SQL-injection vulnerability:

  @spec execute_v1(integer(), String.t()) :: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.query_result()
  def execute_v1(user_id, visited_on) do
    Repo.query!("UPDATE \"user\" SET last_visit=$1 WHERE id=$2", [visited_on, user_id])

    Repo.query!(
      "INSERT INTO \"visit\" (user_id, visit_date) VALUES ($1, $2);",
      [visited_on, user_id])
    )
  end

The final version with a transaction can use Repo.transaction and rely on query! raising:

  @spec execute_v2(integer(), String.t()) :: {:ok, :whatever}
  def execute_v2(user_id, visited_on) do
    Repo.transact(fn ->
      Repo.query!("UPDATE \"user\" SET last_visit=$1 WHERE id=$2", [visited_on, user_id])

      Repo.query!(
        "INSERT INTO \"visit\" (user_id, visit_date) VALUES ($1, $2);",
        [visited_on, user_id])
      )

      {:ok, :whatever}
    end)
  end
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Having worked extensively with Multi I’d strongly suggest skipping it. It’s most useful where parts of a query are composed by user input I’d argue. Elsewhere you’re better to skip it.

@spec execute(integer(), DateTime.t()) :: :ok
def execute(user_id, visited_on) do
  Repo.transaction(fn -> 
    User
    |> where(id: ^user_id)
    |> Repo.update_all([set: [last_visited: visited_on]]
    
    %Visit{user_id: user_id, visit_date: visited_on}
    |> Repo.insert!()
  end)

  :ok
end

Personally I’d do a lot less converting the code example to elixir/ecto. This retains the same interface and functionality as the code example while translating what is there to ecto. Any additional code goes beyond what had been there and I guess one could argue for Repo.insert_all and "users" as the table for the update to not need a schema, but I’d consider that too far from ideomatic.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I have to go back to those earlier EF threads because to this day I simply cannot comprehend what’s so bad about Ecto.Multi. Sure, it absolutely shines when you need stuff from previous steps in your current / next steps, and that’s how I used it, always. (Why would one use it when the steps are independent and Repo.transaction works just as fine and with less code? :thinking:)

While I am at it I should probably go read again why is the new Repo.transact deemed superior.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There’s nothing bad about it. It’s just very verbose for something that in most cases could be solved without all the verboseness and closer to plain elixir.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Thanks for the summary, I appreciate it.

Yes it’s a bit verbose. I’m simply looking at it as an Enum.reduce accumulator of sorts.

krasenyp

krasenyp

I’ve used Ecto.Multi extensively and I like it. Especially when I need to do a bulk operation but I can’t use insert_all or update_all. I find Repo.transact as ergonomic as Multi though, just for different situations.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Good point, I was not really thinking about the security issue!

This is very similar to the original, and without any try/catch I also believe it to be easier to introduce to newcomers. Easy code always appeals more to people, specially when it does the same.

I have used Multi in the past, but never thought about this. Turns out my code could have been simplified !

I will consider this, should I decide that delving more deeply into Ecto is fits the idea of what I am trying to convey. Thanks !

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews