elt547

elt547

In a validate method on phx-change, it’s common to Map.put(:action, :insert) to the changeset. This is obviously used somehow by the form function. I’m having a bit of trouble deciphering it, as I can’t figure out where the action is received from the for map/struct. Probably missed it, my eyes are still adjusting to elixir.

What specifically does this do and are there more values that are used by the .form function?

Showing Posts 4 to 1

markquezada

markquezada

Just wanted to note here that the official docs say it’s ok to update directly:

Ecto automatically applies the action for you when you call Repo.insert/update/delete, but if you want to show errors manually you can also set the action yourself, either directly on the Ecto.Changeset struct field or by using Ecto.Changeset.apply_action/2 .

(Emphasis mine.)

Probably explains why the generators use this pattern in live views:

  defp validate_thing(socket, thing_params) do
    changeset =
      socket.assigns.thing
      |> Things.change(thing_params)
      |> Map.put(:action, :validate)

    assign(socket, :changeset, changeset)
  end
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

While I generally support your suggestion there‘s also nothing wrong with depending on the changeset structure, which is publicly documented and not going to change (in a breaking way) without a mayor version bump of ecto.

zorn

zorn

Per the links @cpgo supplied, generally speaking, the Phoenix HTML functions will not display errors for a changeset unless it has an action value, which usually is something Ecto will apply as part of a bad insert or update. If you are doing other more manual things with the changeset, you need to assign the action yourself to have an outcome where the form presents the errors as expected.

I think it is a mistake that the code you are looking at is editing the map directly. You should probably lean on the apply_action/2 function to avoid making assumptions about the underlying Changeset map structure.

https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/Ecto.Changeset.html#apply_action/2

Hope this helps. I know it took me a bit to grok when I first started.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews