shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hi, I have this nested module:

defmodule AA do
  defmodule BB do
    defmodule CC do
      ...
    end
  end
end

now is there a way get all the parents reversely?

For example:

[AA.BB.CC, AA.BB, AA]

It should noted, maybe the user named a module like Testy.AA, I just need to explore nested module, I mean module inside the other module. and I have always the last one module name, AA.BB.CC

Thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 7

cmo

cmo

Module.split and Module.concat may be what you’re after.

Module.split(Very.Long.Module.Name.And.Even.Longer)
["Very", "Long", "Module", "Name", "And", "Even", "Longer"]
Module.split("Elixir.String.Chars")
["String", "Chars"]
codeanpeace

codeanpeace

iex(3)> defmodule AA do
...(3)>   defmodule BB do
...(3)>     defmodule CC do
...(3)>       def where_am_i do
...(3)>         IO.puts(__MODULE__)
...(3)>       end
...(3)>     end
...(3)>   end
...(3)> end
iex(4)> AA.BB.CC.where_am_i
Elixir.AA.BB.CC
:ok

__MODULE__/0 docs | Kernel.SpecialForms — Elixir v1.13.4

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

unfortunately, in this way we just separate the module name, not getting the parent, for example if we have a module like:

defmodule Testy.AA do
  defmodule BB do
    defmodule CC do
      ...
    end
  end
end

it returns ["Testy", "AA", "BB", "CC"], and the Testy module maybe exist and we do not need it just nested module inside the module should be counted

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

As I said, I have already the last module name.

But your answer gives me an idea that should be tested

codeanpeace

codeanpeace

In case it gives you more ideas, there’s a Module.__info__/1 as well.

iex(5)> AA.BB.CC.__info__(:module)
AA.BB.CC

It’s also worth noting that modules aren’t truly nested in Elixir since they’re all flattened into a top level if I recall correctly. The superficial “nesting” via the dot/period is just a namespacing convention.

tomekowal

tomekowal

I’d do it this way:

defmodule MyModuleHelpers do
  def parent(module) do
    module # e.g. Very.Long.Module
    |> Module.split() # ["Very", "Long", "Module"]
    |> remove_last()
    |> Module.concat() # opposite to split Very.Long
  end

  # Elixir modules are atoms underneath that always start with "Elixir"
  # e.g. :"Elixir.Very" is pritned in console as Very
  # We use the `:Elixir` atom as recursion end
  # and we say that :Elixir does not have parents
  def parents(:Elixir), do: []

  # here is the recursive clause
  # the returned list starts with current module
  # and then calls itself recursively with parent
  # we use the fact that list constructor is itself recursive
  # [Very.Long.Module, Very.Long, Very] == [Very.Long.Module | [Very.Long | [Very | []]]]
  def parents(module) do
    [module | parents(parent(module))]
  end

  # there is no "remove last element" function, so the trick is to reverse and remove first
  defp remove_last(list) do
    list # ["Very", "Long", "Module"]
    |> Enum.reverse() # ["Module", "Long", "Very"]
    |> tl() # tail function gives everything BUT the first element ["Long", "Very"]
    |> Enum.reverse() # ["Very", "Long"]
  end
end
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

There’s not a good way, and IMO that’s intentional - the apparent hierarchy of dotted names (Foo.Bar.Baz) doesn’t correspond to any real nesting.

For instance, naming a module Foo.Bar.Baz says precisely nothing about the existence of modules named Foo and Foo.Bar. They could exist, but they aren’t required to like in other languages (for instance, Ruby).

There’s no way to go in the opposite direction either: given a module named Foo.Bar, there’s no API to retrieve every module named Foo.Bar.<whatever>.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews