wanton7
I’m trying to look at the docs but I couldn’t find a function that would return element with its index. Is there such a function for lists that doesn’t involve creating a new list? I want to do modify the the element if it exists and then use List.replace_at to replace it. But because I don’t have the index, I first have use Enum.find_index to get the index and then if it’s not nil, then I have to use Enum.at to get the element itself.
Edit: added code
defp edit_if_exists(elements, id, fun) do
case elements |> Enum.find_index(&(&1.id == id)) do
nil ->
elements
idx ->
element = elements |> Enum.at(idx); # Want to know if I can some how avoid this
elements |> List.replace_at(idx, fun.(element))
end
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
csadewa
Combination of
Enum.with_indexwithEnum.findcould solve this. likewanton7
Enum.with_indexcreates a new listcsadewa
List.replace_atalso create a new list, elixir being immutable will always return new data structure for modification.Alternatively, if you want to focus on replace an element without considering using index, you could just use
Enum.map, and change elem if it’s match your search criteriawanton7
I don’t care about
List.replace_atcreating a new list I only care about that finding the element doesn’t create a new list. That why I asked.LostKobrakai
Can you explain why you need to work with indexes on a list? Often when you need indexed access a list in not the best datatype to use.
csadewa
you could change
Enum.with_indextoStream.with_indexwhich wouldn’t make an intermediary list, but at this moment i don’t really understand what you are trying to achieve. (i thought it was replacing modifying an element in list before)wanton7
I want to edit element in a list if it exists and not create new list if it doesn’t. Maybe there is a better way?
csadewa
List in elixir is immutable, changing a list data structure will always create a new list in it.
Maybe list is not the correct data structure for you, if you have special requirement like high performance problem or shared data between process, there’s alternative like :array (array — OTP 29.0.2 (stdlib 8.0.1)) which give mutable array in elixir.
wanton7
Of course they are immutable whole language is immutable. I think you have misunderstood what I originally wrote. Like I said I don’t care about that editing a list is creating a new list it’s given. I care about that finding an element is creating a new list.
I can use
Enum.find_indexandEnum.atif element was found and that doesn’t create a new list. But I wanted to know if there is some function already in Enum or List or somewhere else doesn’t create a new list and returns both element and its index so I could do it in one call instead of two.LostKobrakai
Enum.reduce_whilecan do that. That’s whatfind_indexis based on.