Zesky665

Zesky665

Hi,

I need to run an js script 500 times at once and collect the outputs from each execution. Is this something that can easily be done with elixir, at least in comparison to other languages?

I’m also interested (if the above is true) if It is possible to have a separate process track the execution of each of the scripts and update the results on a drab page like in the async tasks example?

Just in case it is important the script that I plan to run is a automated e2e test using selenium.

Thanks in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 9

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

Will you run this 500 js in the same browser? I assume you want to use the browser, as you’re refering to Drab.

Yes, exactly like in the async example - run the separate task for each process and collect results as it finishes.

Zesky665

Zesky665 OP

Will you run this 500 js in the same browser? I assume you want to use the browser, as you’re refering to Drab.

This is how I was imagining the workflow:

  1. User opens the drab page with the different tests listed on their comp.
  2. User presses ‘Run Tests’ button
  3. A script runs on the server where the drab page is hosted, firing of 500 seperate headless chrome instances.
  4. The users gets a list of reports from each test instance as the tests finish.
grych

grych

Creator of Drab

This part might be a little bit tricky, if you want to do it in parallel :wink:

Zesky665

Zesky665 OP

Any suggestions?

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

I have never measured it, but I believe RAM would be a bottleneck for 500 chromes. You may want to run it on the multiple machines, and yes - this is a case for Elixir.

Also, be prepared to have a small number of random bugs occasionally. I am using chromedriver with hound in Drab’s tests, and from time to time it just fails with the different browser errors. Re-running the same test fixes the issue.

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

There is a service for this, https://www.browserless.io, but they are charging something like 5$ per browser, so probably it would be cheaper to provide your own infrastructure.

Zesky665

Zesky665 OP

I’ll try and work that out somehow. Maybe I’ll just have to rent a beefy server.

I’m quite familiar with those :stuck_out_tongue:

mgwidmann

mgwidmann

Use Task.async_stream/3 and toy with the limit until you get a maximum that fits the hardware you’re on. Once you get that functioning your test will run (which is valuable in itself). Then if that number is unacceptable and runtime is too long, get a bigger box and see what it will give you. Selenium is slow and uses a lot of CPU as well. So its best to get something working as is first before springing to another box so you’ll have something to compare against when you do decide to increase the hardware (not to mention being able to justify or not justify the cost of doing so).

mgwidmann

mgwidmann

Also, consider starting with number of cores. Don’t try 100 or something crazy like that at first because it will never complete. Start with something with few resource constraints and inefficient and move up to efficient and max resources because once you go past that its just likely to waste your time.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews