coen.bakker

coen.bakker

Is book/2 in violation of the anti-pattern called Complex Else Clauses in With?

I reckoned it is not because the else clauses use the conn variable. I could pass those to the private functions parse_id/1 and fetch_book/1, but not sure if that is recommended…

# Part of an elixirland.dev exercise
defmodule BookClubWeb.APIController do
  use BookClubWeb, :controller
  alias BookClub.Books

  def books(conn, %{"title" => title}) do
    books = Books.list_books_with_active_or_first_page(filter: title)
    render_pretty_json(conn, books)
  end

  def books(conn, _params) do
    books = Books.list_books_with_active_or_first_page()
    render_pretty_json(conn, books)
  end

  def book(conn, %{"id" => id}) do
    with {:ok, id} <- parse_id(id),
         {:ok, book} <- fetch_book(id) do
      render_pretty_json(conn, book)
    else
      {:error, :invalid_id} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:bad_request)
        |> json(%{error: "Invalid ID"})

      {:error, :not_found} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:not_found)
        |> json(%{error: "Book not found"})
    end
  end

  defp render_pretty_json(conn, data) do
    json_string = Jason.encode!(data, pretty: true)
    conn
    |> put_resp_content_type("application/json")
    |> send_resp(200, json_string)
  end

  defp parse_id(id) do
    case Integer.parse(id) do
      {id, _} when id >= 1 -> {:ok, id}
      _ -> {:error, :invalid_id}
    end
  end

  defp fetch_book(id) do
    case Books.get_book_with_active_or_first_page(id) do
      nil -> {:error, :not_found}
      book -> {:ok, book}
    end
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

No to me you are already following the recommendations, the return codes are specific and not overlapping.

coen.bakker

coen.bakker OP

Great and ty. That also how I read the anti-pattern docs. But glad to have double checked.

joey_the_snake

joey_the_snake

It seems borderline to me. Even though the errors are pretty easy to map back to the different with clauses, it is still extra “strain” rather than handling the different types of errors in the caller.

coen.bakker

coen.bakker OP

Would this be better?

defmodule BookClubWeb.APIController do
  use BookClubWeb, :controller
  alias BookClub.Books

  def books(conn, %{"title" => title}) do
    books = Books.list_books_with_active_or_first_page(filter: title)
    render_pretty_json(conn, books)
  end

  def books(conn, _params) do
    books = Books.list_books_with_active_or_first_page()
    render_pretty_json(conn, books)
  end

  def book(conn, %{"id" => id}) do
    with {:ok, id} <- parse_id(id, conn),
         {:ok, book} <- fetch_book(id, conn) do
      render_pretty_json(conn, book)
    end
  end

  defp render_pretty_json(conn, data) do
    json_string = Jason.encode!(data, pretty: true)
    conn
    |> put_resp_content_type("application/json")
    |> send_resp(200, json_string)
  end

  defp parse_id(id, conn) do
    case Integer.parse(id) do
      {id, _} when id >= 1 ->
        {:ok, id}

      _ ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:bad_request)
        |> json(%{error: "Invalid ID"})
    end
  end

  defp fetch_book(id, conn) do
    case Books.get_book_with_active_or_first_page(id) do
      nil ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:not_found)
        |> json(%{error: "Book not found"})

      book ->
        {:ok, book}
    end
  end
end
joey_the_snake

joey_the_snake

Sorry on phone so can’t type out code, but I think in your case I would take the conn stuff out of the parse and fetch functions. I would have the book function return either ok or error tuple and then do the conn stuff on the return from that function. That way you are talking away the need to ever care about which error comes from which with clause. You just know the book function can return different kinds of errors

tfwright

tfwright

I think this solution is harder to follow. I do not like to see a function called “parse_id” modifying conn. Explicit error case clauses in the first code sample seems much clearer.

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

In this case, I’d have the helper functions return a 3-tuple in the error case, e.g. {:error, status_code, message} and a single else block to update the conn

codeanpeace

codeanpeace

Maybe it’s copy pasta, but that last function clause def book(conn, %{"id" => id}) do won’t match as there’s a “catch all” def books(conn, _params) do right before it. Order matters here since Elixir tries each clause until it finds one that matches so that “catch all” should come last.

cmo

cmo

book != books

codeanpeace

codeanpeace

Ahh, good catch – mea culpa!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews