coen.bakker
One of the requirements of the Book Club exercise on elixirland.dev is to seed data.
I am referring to this requirement in the exercise.
## Requirements
...
### **Seeding**
* Running mix ecto.setup creates the database tables but also seeds the database
* Seeding inserts 4,000 books that each have 10 pages
* Some seeded books have an active page, but not all
* Seeding is fast
How happy or unhappy would you be if a co-worker would create a pull request containing this seeds.exs? Is it written in idiomatic Elixir? Use of comments, etc.
import Ecto.Query, only: [from: 2]
alias BookClub.Repo
alias BookClub.Books.{Book, Page}
# Setup
# Sets log level to :info for performance
initial_log_level = Logger.level()
Logger.configure(level: :info)
IO.puts("Start database seeding")
start_time = System.os_time(:millisecond)
# Constants
n_books = 4000
n_pages_per_book = 10
inserted_at = NaiveDateTime.utc_now(:second)
batch_size = 800
# Insert 4,000 books
books =
for _ <- 1..n_books do
%{
title: XlFaker.generate_title(),
inserted_at: inserted_at,
updated_at: inserted_at
}
end
books
|> Enum.chunk_every(batch_size)
|> Enum.each(&Repo.insert_all(Book, &1))
# Batch insert 10 pages per book
# Gives some books an active page
book_ids =
from(b in Book, select: b.id)
|> Repo.all()
pages =
book_ids
|> Enum.flat_map(fn book_id ->
pages =
for i <- 1..n_pages_per_book do
%{
book_id: book_id,
content: XlFaker.generate_page(),
number: i,
status: :inactive,
inserted_at: inserted_at,
updated_at: inserted_at
}
end
List.update_at(
pages,
:rand.uniform(n_pages_per_book) - 1,
&Map.put(&1, :status, Enum.random([:active, :inactive]))
)
end)
pages
|> Enum.chunk_every(batch_size)
|> Enum.each(&Repo.insert_all(Page, &1))
# Teardown
end_time = System.os_time(:millisecond)
IO.puts("Finish database seeding")
IO.puts("Seeded #{n_books} books in #{end_time - start_time}ms")
Logger.configure(level: initial_log_level)
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
I don’t think the log level should be overwritten. Either the system is configured to info level and info is logged or it isn’t. I’d also consider changing the
IO.putsto use logger.The book ids could be returned from the
Repo.insert_allcalls with the:returningoption + a flat_map.And as with all code generating data: This “works”, but it doesn’t really do much in terms of making sure it continues to work over time and in the face of changes to the system it seeds. There’s a reason tests commonly use factories instead of code like this. Though this is one piece of code, tests are usually quite many, so it’s less of a problem.
dimitarvp
Seeds should be IMO idempotent which means that you should have corresponding
Repo.deleteorRepo.delete_allbefore inserts. This of course assumes that you can in fact identify the data that must be seeded and remove it at all which in many cases is not possible i.e. I worked in places where certain tenants / companies / users must always exist and some even had hardcoded IDs. You can still achieve idempotency by simply not deleting and not inserting anything if you detect that these special records that must be always exist are already there.I would not rely on the current datetime; I’d hardcode
nowas a fixed datetime in the past. To me determinism trumps almost all other concerns. However that too is not a hard rule because there are businesses where certain records are only valid if they’ve been created no more than f.ex. 6 months ago. So use your best judgement but still hardcode as much as you can if you can get away with it. Again – determinism.Disagreed, seeds are practically their own universe and the only thing they share with the main app is the storage (in most cases a relational DB). It’s quite OK to override various runtime properties like logging in there. I even stuffed OTel tracing in one project’s seeds because they were taking mysteriously long (spoiler alert: one table was too big and the seeds scanned for records + did various levels of locking; we fixed it after).
thiagomajesk
+1 here, the only thing would do differently is to use upserts instead of delete/ insert. Which I think is what you meant by:
Pretty much agree with the rest as well
dimitarvp
Yep. I didn’t say it clearly but that’s what I had in mind.
fuelen
I’d be okay if this script is just a temporary solution. The code itself is good enough. My concerns are not about style of Elixir code but more about approach in general. It works for simple cases, but as the project grows, I’d not put
to the requirements.
What is more important for me is correctness of data. The approach of inserting raw data will quickly become a mess on several dozen tables. I’m a proponent of using business functions in seed scripts. I’m okay to wait a bit longer. Inserting seed data can be sped up by parallelization (
Task.async_streamorflowcan help). Because of that, having progress bars in seeds is also a good thing (owlcan help).The number of inserted data must be configurable, so it is possible to specify tiny numbers to run seeds as a part of the test suit. Just create 1 record for each record type to ensure that the script doesn’t fail. Most likely, you won’t be happy when the script stops working when you need it the most
On one of the projects, we have modules for creating seeds defined in lib as a regular .ex file because we want these modules to be available in release. We run them when we launch a new server for testing. This happens quite often thanks to CI/CD. So, removing
seeds.exscompletely is OK, if someone is struggling with this just because the file is shipped with the default phoenix setup.sodapopcan
It’s always been my understanding (though I’ve been known to have a problem with understanding) that the particular seeds mechanism in Phoenix (though I’m taking this understanding from Rails from years ago) is just for data that your app requires to run on initial set up (like anything in a settings table, an initial user, etc), not for seeding dev/test data. Of course I see it used this way a lot. I like the idea of flags if one was going to use it this way so that it can cover all situations—I always create a whole separate task for adding “dev data.” I guess that essentially the same thing now that I write that out, it’s just keeping the concepts separate. Potato/potato, perhaps.
I also do upsets for this reason.
coen.bakker
Your comments led me to make changes to both the exercise description and the example solution of the Book Club exercise.
For example, I added a motivation for the requirement that the database can be seeded.
Here are some of the changes I have made to the
seeds.exsfile of the example solution.Repo.insert_all/3, instead of querying them separately.Some of the community suggestions were great (!), but not directly applicable to this Elixirland exercise. However, let me know if I messed something up in the new version of the
seeds.exsand/or exercise description.This is the current version.
D4no0
What is the point of doing that? You want your seeds to be idenpotent, what if you have data besides those seeds in those tables?
coen.bakker
Well, maybe I messed up!
But here’s the reasoning. As far as the exercise is concerned, only books and pages exist. If you run mix ecto.reset there is no point to clearing the data first. But if you run the seeding script separately then you’re making sure you end up with the same number of books and pages each time.
There are by the way no specific books or pages required to be in the seeded data. All content is “random”. Upserts are not necessary.
D4no0
What you are describing is more fitting to a custom mix task and not seeds. I’m not sure what would be the point of seeds that do destructive operations.