konstantine
There are use cases where a reverse proxy may be a necessity. There are administrators that are may be used to having a reverse proxy in place. More generally, however, do you consider the use of a reverse proxy to be best practice for a Phoenix setup?
Cowboy is great, for instance, but support for newer protocols (HTTP2, TLS 1.3) tends to lag considerably behind the likes of Nginx or Caddy. On the other hand, having fewer moving parts (here a lone Cowboy) is usually preferable. Other than the obvious “it depends”, what do you think?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Caddy 2 supports http2 (but afaik you need tls setup for the upstream server):
Edit: Seems this has also been the case for caddy v1
carterbryden
I use nginx as reverse proxy now almost entirely because I found it much easier to use certbot/let’s encrypt with it. I also just know how to config nginx better than cowboy and it comes out of the box with most servers I’d be using, so it’s familiarity and convenience. Though yeah, I probably should consider trying a flow that uses just cowboy again some time.
konstantine
Just to bring some closure to this thread:
I decided to go down the reverse proxy path and tried Caddy. I got TLS 1.3 working in no time and removed much more configuration than I added! My basic setup required a Caddyfile as simple as this:
konstantine
Having now spent some time experimenting with Caddy 2, I wish to share my experience as to how it complements my Phoenix setup, by compiling a list of areas in which Caddy excels:
• adding support for the latest protocols, such as TLS 1.3 or HTTP/3 (experimental)
• serving a maintenance page when the Cowboy / Phoenix web server is down
• adding security and other headers to all requests, or to a broad range of requests
• adding an authentication token header, e.g. to protect a staging server
• redirecting automatically from the domain root to the www subdomain
• dealing with the issue of trailing slashes in URL paths
On the contrary, I found that for complex request-specific operations (such as the addition of Content Security Policy headers), Caddy is not the right tool. Phoenix mechanisms offer far more flexibility.
I hope that someone finds this information useful.
gpartha
Given that three years have passed by, based on the experience what would the best approach on this topic? I am going through the same design decision for one of my project.
derpycoder
I am using Caddy, not only in production, but also in local. As it allows me to forget random port number to access different sub programs running alongside the server.
Plus I get HTTP/3, HTTPS and ease of configuration.
konstantine
Having already detailed the usefulness of Caddy as a reverse proxy, it is also worth noting its web server capability. When Caddy runs on a separate host, static asset requests can be served locally, so that only dynamic asset requests need be forwarded to the Phoenix endpoint.
gpartha
Thanks for coming back to me. I am leaning more towards Nginx as my reverse proxy, Looking to use the proxy server and also do the Authentication and Authorisation using Vouch Proxy.
The key question I am struggling with is - Should I use Phoenix to do the Authentication and Authorisation with Identity providers or use specific components like Vouch Proxy!!! Increases the moving parts in the deployment but has dedicated elements for specific functionality.
Any suggestions and advice is welcome.