csaintc
Hey friends!
My company runs a single page app, and it is a hard requirement that we do isomorphic rendering for our front end.
Our back-end is implemented in Elixir. I was thinking it might be nice to cut out the middle man and use Elixir to isomorphically render our reactjs application on our elixir back-end.
Are there any libraries, conference talks, etc. you can point me to that could be helpful?
Thanks a bunch!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
Unsure about libraries but it would be pretty easy to do, just setup a Port to a nodejs app that talks over it’s stdin/stdout to your main server, and anytime you need to render out a page then send a JSON of data over stdin and get the page data back (I’d recommend tagging with an ID so you could interlace commands for faster speed if you get nodejs running multicore). It’s the standard BEAM way to talk to external apps like that.
Now if you want to toss out React and use something else that is better suited, there are tons of options, though it sounds like you might already be tied to react and if you want to ‘isomorphicaly’ use react then a Port is the way to do it, essentially just using react-in-node ‘as’ your template system (no where near as fast as elixir templates, but if you want it ‘isomorphic’ then that’s how to do it).
tme_317
There is a library that does basically what @OvermindDL1 suggests for server-side React rendering in a pool of nodejs workers orchestrated by Elixir! Check out GitHub - revelrylabs/elixir_react_render: React SSR Framework for Elixir · GitHub
namelos
Another way to achieve this is to use Node.js server in front of Elixir back-end.
When browser request for index page just returns a fully rendered string, the fetching data just from Elixir back-end. Use isomorphic fetch to make sure the components are also executing well in the Node server. All the API will be called from the browser directly goes to Elixir back-end through Nginx or Ingress etc.
If you are using GraphQL there’s a term named schema stitching, which let you merge back-end schema to the current server.
OvermindDL1
Oh that’s cool!
kokolegorille
Just for information, there is a post abour react_render from the author here…
bryanjos
Just chiming in to say that lib does pretty much what @OvermindDL1 said. Having elixir apps supervise node processes makes things so much more pleasant in development and production.
We also have another related lib that is for node interaction in general
GitHub - revelrylabs/elixir-nodejs: An Elixir API for calling Node.js functions · GitHub
Eventually we will have the react render lib implemented using that one hopefully