benonymus

benonymus

Hey I am having an issue with file saving.
On windows it works nicely, but then I am trying to run the project on Ubuntu it seems like the folders are not getting created for the uploaded stuff and the file itself is not getting saved.
How can this be fixed?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benonymus

benonymus OP

ok managed to get an error:
# tried 10 times to create an uploaded file at /tmp/plug-1536 but failed. Set PLUG_TMPDIR to a directory with write permission

benonymus

benonymus OP

if i manually add sudo chmod -R 777 on the folders that are required then it is working as intended

NobbZ

NobbZ

Under which app does your phoenix application run and under which your reverse-proxy (if you use one)? Who owns the created temp-file/folder? With what permissions is it created originally?

benonymus

benonymus OP

Hey I use nginx fro reverse proxy, and the app is started from the mix release command output.
well i assume root owns it, so my user cannot write and copy from it.
to make it worse the issue is back

benonymus

benonymus OP

I logged out the conn too, and the part of it that has the data to update looks like this:

params: %{
    "_csrf_token" => "SHZoEW4jB1IaRC9uBAsUNTUKTh8QAAAA04+kETRcM3b4ujpZza70Ag==",
    "_method" => "put",
    "_utf8" => "✓",
    "id" => "2",
    "user" => %{
      "avatar" => %Plug.Upload{
        content_type: "image/jpeg",
        filename: "ConceptArt_SneakySneaky_011 (2).jpg",
        path: "/tmp/plug-1536/multipart-1536590148-521595600991125-4"
      },
      "name" => "bencepic",
      "password" => "",
      "role_id" => "1",
      "team_id" => ""
    }
  }

the questionable part here is the avatar since here is shows already that plug.upload, how could i log out the original request with the picture?

benonymus

benonymus OP

other weird thing is that with the get request that gets executed before this is working nicely, doesnt complain about not being logged in - 401

benonymus

benonymus OP

Hey the “solution” i said before seems to be only temporary, do you maybe know a better solution?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Depends on the answers to my questions, which you haven’t given yet.

I’d prefer answers checked in the config or in the filesystem over assumptions.

benonymus

benonymus OP

in the config of the elixir project?

NobbZ

NobbZ

  • User and group the phoenix project does run under, shoulb be in your service file to start the service
  • User and group the reverse proxy runs under, should be in your service file to start the service
  • Owner of the temp folder, just check when its created, also write down permission bits
  • Do you run in a SE linux context? (getenforce and sestatus)

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews