stevensonmt
I ran into the following situation when trying to create a MapSet of MapSets yesterday. If you nest the MapSet.new() calls they get flattened. I don’t know if this is a bug or I am just unaware of the reason this should be the expected behavior. Does anyone have an explanation?
iex(1)> MapSet.new(MapSet.new([1,2]))
mapset<[1, 2]>
iex(2)> a = v(1)
mapset<[1, 2]>
iex(3)> MapSet.size(a)
2 # ← expected 1
iex(4)> MapSet.put(MapSet.new(), MapSet.new([1,2]))
mapset<[mapset<[1, 2]>]>
iex(5)> MapSet.size(v(4))
1 # ← this is what I wanted
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
eksperimental
Then what you need is
MapSet.new([MapSet.new([1,2])])stevensonmt
That works but it’s weird. I guess if the passed argument is Enumerable the
MapSet.new()call iterates over each item in the passed argument to build the set. So in my original command it’s making a MapSet<[1,2]>, turning it into a list, iterating over that list, and putting each item into a MapSet<[1,2]>. I guess that makes sense. I guess I think it’s a little odd that MapSet.new requires that the passed arg be enumerable. Why is that? Would be nice to say MapSet.new(1) → MapSet<[1]>.eksperimental
The enumerable is converted to a list and then each element added to the map set. You can see its implementation here: elixir/lib/elixir/lib/map_set.ex at 14dff5c7613d241c29312d73ec1ae001a3c5f7af · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
In the case of passing a mapset, there’s an optimization, so no conversion is done.
eksperimental
If you want to create a map of one element, you wrap that element in a list like I did, but if Elixir would work as you suggest, if you want to create a map set of 5 elements, how would Elixir know that
MapSet.new([1, 2, 3, 4, 5])is a a map set of 5 elements or a map set of one element which is a list of length 5?mudasobwa
What do you mean if?
MapSet.new/1accepts enumerables only as it can be easily seen from the function spec.Then it iterates through this
Enumerable, dedups it and produces aMapSetfrom unique elements in thisEnumerable.stevensonmt
I’m aware. The rest of the post includes “I think it’s a little odd that MapSet.new requires that the passed arg be enumerable.” @eksperimental explained why it obviously needs to be that way.