vira

vira

Hi friends,

I am very new to Phoenix and PostgreSQL database. I am trying to deploy a simple very basic web app on fly.io to try to understand the deployment process so that I can adapt to my existing projects but I am very lost and confused. Here’s what I did.

mix phx.new Testing --app testing123
cd Testing
mix ecto.create

And then I used fly launch and fly deploy command. I got the following errors.

** (RuntimeError) environment variable DATABASE_URL is missing.
For example: ecto://USER:PASS@HOST/DATABASE

What I don’t understand here is the DATABASE_URL. How do I construct one?

When I do brew services list, I have postgresql@15 running already. If I do, psql testing123_dev and do \conninfo, I got "You are connected to database “testing123_dev” as user “sawwerakyawkyaw” via socket in “/tmp” at port “5432”.

Does that mean my DATABASE_URL is ecto://sawwerakyawkyaw:PASS@localhost:5432/testing123_dev?

Also, for each Phoenix project that I create, am I going to need unique DATABASE_URL for each one?

I am very lost and confused. If you can answer my questions or you know any resources to learn more about understanding postgres databases and/ or how to properly deploy, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

garrison

garrison

See the docs for Ecto URLs.

You have it running on your personal machine. If you are deploying an app to a service (Flyio) then you probably want a database running on that service too. They have a few different options, so consult their docs. I think the easy one was their integration with supabase, but they are working on their own managed postgres too. I would avoid their old “HA Postgres” non-managed offering (if it still exists), given it sounds like you’re new to this.

That depends on if you want a unique database for each one. Most likely you would use a separate database for each project, but Postgres can host multiple databases on the same server (confusingly called a “cluster”).

If you host multiple databases on the same server, you will probably have a unique user/database/pass for each one but the same host/port.

vira

vira OP

Hey! Thank you so much. You have enlightened me about the deployment process. I actually start reading the fly.io documentation and I start to understand a lot things. This is just the beginning. People like you make the learning process much more fun!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews