kuroda

kuroda

I would like to discuss a website I am managing that uses Phoenix LiveView (version 1.0.0-rc.0).

The website is running on VM instances on Google Cloud. Each instance is running Nginx as a reverse proxy, relaying requests to the Phoenix app.

Initially, I used Google Cloud Load Balancer in my configuration to distribute requests to the VM instances. On the surface, the website appeared to be running fine. Websocket communication between the browser and LiveView was working.

However, one problem was uncovered. If the browser is left idle for about 60 seconds, the screen reloads.

After checking with the Chrome DevTools, I found the following:

  • The first heatbeat sent from the browser to LiveView returns OK.
  • However, the second heatbeat did not return a response.

So I stopped using Google Cloud Load Balancer and built a simple load balancer using Nginx in front of VM instances. Then the problem was solved.

From this, I concluded that the problem was caused by Google Cloud Load Balancer and decided to use Nginx as a load balancer for the time being. However, I would like to use Google Cloud Load Balancer if possible.

Has anyone else encountered a similar phenomenon? If there is a workaround, I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey @kuroda you have to configure the connection timeout on the load balancer. By default the timeout is quite short, but you’ll want to set it to an hour or similar.

kuroda

kuroda OP

You are correct, the default timeout for the Google Cloud backend is very short (30 seconds).

I set it to 60 seconds as a test and the phenomenon I was encountering was resolved.

Since LiveView on the browser side keeps sending heartbeats to the LiveView socket every 30 seconds, I am assuming that perhaps there is no need to extend the timeout to an hour and 60 seconds is sufficient, am I correct?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews