SkyFlyOne

SkyFlyOne

Hello I’m facing some problems using Joken to set up JWT for my backend application. I found no solution. I’ve pasted the code below with the error. I think there is a conflict between the versions of Joker

defmodule ApiElixir.TokenManager do
  use Joken

  @secret "secret"

  defp claims() do
    %{
      "iss" => "api_elixir",
      "exp" => Timex.now() |> Timex.add(Timex.Duration.from_seconds(3600)) |> Timex.to_unix(),
      "aud" => "user"
    }
  end

  def encode() do
    Joken.sign(%{}, @secret, claims())
  end

  def decode(token) do
    case Joken.verify(token, @secret) do
      {:ok, _claims} -> {:ok, "Token valide"}
      {:error, reason} -> {:error, reason}
    end
  end
end

Error :

== Compilation error in file lib/token_manager.ex ==
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function Joken.__using__/1 is undefined or private
    (joken 2.6.0) Joken.__using__([])
    lib/token_manager.ex:2: (module)

Thanks all for the help

Showing Posts 1 to 9

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Welcome! What version of Joken are you using? What docs are you reading?

SkyFlyOne

SkyFlyOne OP

It s the 2.6 version and for the docs i read the official doc of but for the code you will insult me ^^’ it s a prompt i tell to chatgpt for the example

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Instead of ChatGPT, can you try some examples from the Joken docs? Joken Overview — Joken v2.6.2

SkyFlyOne

SkyFlyOne OP

Yes i will try with the Joken docs thanks

victorolinasc

victorolinasc

@SkyFlyOne you should use Joken.Config and not Joken.

The docs also show you better intended ways of using Joken’s API. For instance, when “using” the config, you get some generated implementations of encode/decode and some others.

SkyFlyOne

SkyFlyOne OP

I tried with making this

defmodule ApiElixir.Token do
  use Joken.Config

  signer = Joken.Signer.create("HS256", "secret")

  {:ok, token, claims} = ApiElixir.Token.generate_and_sign(%{}, signer)

  extra_claims = %{"user_id" => "some_id"}
  token_with_default_plus_custom_claims = ApiElixir.Token.generate_and_sign!(extra_claims, signer)

  {:ok, claims} = ApiElixir.Token.verify_and_validate(token, signer)

end

But i have some error like this one

== Compilation error in file lib/api_elixir/token.ex ==
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function ApiElixir.Token.generate_and_sign/2 is undefined (function not available)
    ApiElixir.Token.generate_and_sign(%{}, %Joken.Signer{jwk: #JOSE.JWK<keys: :undefined, fields: %{}, ...>, jws: %JOSE.JWS{alg: {:jose_jws_alg_hmac, :HS256}, b64: :undefined, fields: %{"typ" => "JWT"}}, alg: "HS256"})
    lib/api_elixir/token.ex:6: (module)
SkyFlyOne

SkyFlyOne OP

Yes i tried with Joken.Config instead of just Joken but it doesnt work. So now i retried basing on Joken docs but i always have some problem that you can see in my previous post. I m beginner with Elixir and the environnement and basically i dont have some greats skills in dev.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

Have you tried putting the statements inside a function inside your module?

victorolinasc

victorolinasc

@SkyFlyOne here is one working example:

# Without a module token
signer = Joken.Signer.create("HS256", "secret")
Joken.generate_and_sign(%{}, %{}, signer) # => will generate an empty token
Joken.generate_and_sign(%{}, %{"user_id" => "some_id"}, signer) # with a claim

# With a module token
defmodule ApiToken do
  use Joken.Config
end
ApiToken.generate_and_sign(%{}, signer) # will use defult config
ApiToken.generate_and_sign(%{"user_id" => "someid"}, signer) # will add extra claims
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews