MartinVolerich

MartinVolerich

I’m still not 100% with my understanding of the JSON_API layers on Ash.

I’ve created an easy and working aggregate to count the number of related (to_many) records on a resource.

But… I’d like to insert that aggregate value into the JSON api response for gets & reads. I’m currently doing that using the previously learned metadata approach - but I’m curious whether there is a better way to do this.

While I’m at it… Are aggregates the best way to go or should I be using some other form of calculated attributes instead.

Thanks
Martin

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Ah, so metadata is not necessary for this.

You can use the fields query parameter to include public aggregates (i.e aggregates with public?: true. For example fields[type]=agg_name,other,fields. If you want the aggregate to be included by default, you can set default_fields on the route or the resource level, i.e

default_fields [:the, :list, :of, :fields, :agg_name]

That will make them appear as standard attributes in the response.

MartinVolerich

MartinVolerich OP

That’s perfect. Many thanks. The trick (at least to me) was to make the aggregate public and to add it manually to he fields list - or fall back (with no fields list) to the default_fields list.

Thanks again. I’m slowly getting there - step by step.

Martin

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews