greyhwndz

greyhwndz

Hello everyone!

Somebody told me that ja_serializer hasn’t had any release for sometime already because of the popularity of GraphQL.

I was wondering if I can ask everyone what you have adopted with regards to database access layer at the backend. Does Absinthe-GraphQL covers everything and more than JSON-API?

Would love to hear your valuable opinions!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

radar

radar

Rather than compare ja_serializer (which received a release in Feb of this year, btw) and absinthe, allow me to list what I view are the pros of GraphQL over a JSON API, that I listed on an internal company chat where I work:

Those benefits are:

  • Type safety — you could write a mock frontend in TypeScript, send those types to a backender writing GraphQL and they can very easily build an API to match.
  • You can limit the fields you request to just the ones important to you now
  • Predictability in how the responses are returned — the schema tells you exactly what shape you can expect to get back
  • Documentation is automatically generated through introspecting the schema.
  • Excellent tooling (look at GitHub’s GraphQL explorer!!)
  • Clients and servers share the exact same schema, automatically
  • and my favourite “excuse”: GraphQL Code, on both the server and client side is much clearer to understand than bespoke JSON API solutions — particularly when it comes down to how fields are resolved, especially for associated data

For all the above reasons, I think GraphQL has “won”.


To speak to the packages themselves: I’ve always found ja_serializer a bit… clumsy to use. I feel like it’s forcing me to do things the ja_serializer way, rather than allowing for any sort of flexibility.

To be honest, I don’t use absinthe in my day-to-day work, but I have used it for a pet project (or two) in the past and much prefer its flexibility. I can design GraphQL APIs to return things in exactly the shape I want.

What really wins for me though is the ability to write + run queries in an app such as GraphQL Playground, and then to copy + paste these queries verbatim into my frontend code.

If I was to choose today, the choice would be clear. GraphQL (and by extension, Absinthe) has won.

It would be remiss of me not to mention the wonderful Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe book, written by the maintainers of Absinthe themselves! I would recommend this as the very next thing to read after this post.

Good luck on your GraphQL journey!

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

I’ll just add, you really only want to use these if you have a client library that supports it. If you’re using EmberData, then you may choose JSON API, because it’s the path of least resistance. If you’re using pretty much anything else, you’ll have a better experience with GraphQL.

It’s worth noting, the client libraries for both of these are pretty good in javascript. In other languages, the client libraries aren’t so great. If you’re doing server to server communication, I’d recommend a plain old REST API.

greyhwndz

greyhwndz OP

Have you had experience with ember-apollo-client?

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

I went to an ember meetup once where someone gave a talk about it. They seemed pretty happy with it. I think there are some things you forego when using it with ember, but I couldn’t give you the specifics.

greyhwndz

greyhwndz OP

By the way apologies to the concerned for me saying that there hasn’t been a release for ja_serializer for sometime. I was wrong

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews