petrus-jvrensburg

petrus-jvrensburg

Just for anyone else running into the same thing: I have a JSON (actually JSONB) field in Postgres that’s defined as a map field on my ecto schema:

field :payload, :map

To make this editable, in form_component.ex I had to specify a textarea input field, e.g.

    <.input
      field={@form[:payload]}
      type="textarea"
      label="Payload"
      autocomplete="off"
      autocorrect="off"
      rows="8"
      value={@form[:payload].value |> Jason.encode!(pretty: true)}
    />

But then I also needed to update the schema’s changeset/2 function like:

  def changeset(event, attrs) do
    attrs =
      with true <- is_binary(attrs["payload"]),
           {:ok, decoded_value} <- Jason.decode(attrs["payload"]) do
        Map.put(attrs, "payload", decoded_value)
      else
        _ -> attrs
      end

    event
    |> cast(attrs, [
      ...
      :payload
    ])
    |> validate_required([
      ...
    ])
  end

What this does is to try converting the incoming text from the textarea field into a map.

If it succeeds, it passes the map along, but if it fails (e.g. while the user is still busy typing and the input doesn’t contain valid json), then the original string is passed along, which causes the cast function to trigger a validation error on the field, because it’s expecting a map.

I’m not sure if there’s a better way, but this is the simplest way that I could come up with that handles the happy path but also triggers a validation error when needed.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

andreaseriksson

andreaseriksson

Maybe skip (live) validation as you type or have a validation changeset that dosnt include the json field.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews