austinsmorris

austinsmorris

Does anybody know of a JSON backend for Logger that works with the updates in elixir 1.10? I had been using logger_json but that broke pretty bad with the erlang/otp logger integration introduced in elixir 1.10.0.

Thanks@

Showing Posts 1 to 6

chulkilee

chulkilee

I wrote a formatter (not logger backend) - metadata_logger
. it’s very conservative (e.g. it avoids own transformation - e.g. passing pid would lead to error message)

For Elixir 1.10 and OTP 22 - they introduced new metadata and I fixed the library at Handle metadata by chulkilee · Pull Request #12 · elixir-metadata-logger/metadata_logger · GitHub

fuelen

fuelen

we use ink at work.
Test with Elixir 1.10:

ex(4)> Logger.add_backend(Ink)     
{:ok, #PID<0.24432.0>}
iex(5)> Logger.remove_backend(:console)
:ok
iex(6)> require Logger
Logger 
iex(7)> Logger.info("test", %{current_user_id: "qweqe"})
{"current_user_id":"qweqe","domain":["elixir"],"erlang_pid":"#PID<0.24423.0>","file":"iex","gl":"#PID<0.65.0>","level":"info","message":"test","time":1580851293206227,"timestamp":"2020-02-04T23:21:33.206Z"}
:ok
hauleth

hauleth

How did it break? Do you have link? Maybe I will be able to help.

In general the plan is to shift away from Elixir’s Logger formatters and backends and instead make use of Erlang’s logger.

So the “simplest” way for “modern” handling would be to (unfortunately) write custom formatter (that implements one function format/2) and then use it together with whatever backend you like.

EDIT:
I will try to provide an example later.

chulkilee

chulkilee

I checked the failed CI job from test elixir 1.10 by austinsmorris · Pull Request #30 · Nebo15/logger_json · GitHub

(Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol Jason.Encoder not implemented for pid<0.63.0> of type PID, Jason.Encoder protocol must always be explicitly implemented.

It seems like the same problem I had with - Handle metadata by chulkilee · Pull Request #12 · elixir-metadata-logger/metadata_logger · GitHub

Basically, Jason does not transform pid value - and the new erlang logger integration introduces new default metadata gl which is pid.

See logger — OTP 29.0.2 (kernel 11.0.2) for the list of metadata set by erlang

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Luckily the fix should be easy: just remove the fields with process information from the metadata. It probably already keeps a list of fields to remove, we just need to update it.

chulkilee

chulkilee

As erlang and elixir logger sees the same logger message.. new metadata field may be added by either erlang or elixir. I believe previously Elixir.Logger would transform or fill metadata… but now I guess it does not (or will not) transform metadata, as a log message can be from erlang.

Anyway, metadata_loggerI converts metadata to map (dropping duplicated metadata!) and convert “known” values (e.g. gl).

Instead of doing converting “known” values - I may make it iterate all metadata (recursively or not) and transform values not implementing Jason protocol… but I want to avoid for performance reason. Or I may just implement Jason protocol to pid… but should I? I don’t want to “pollute” module not defined by my library..

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews