dantodor
Hello!
I’m facing an issue that I don’t even know what to search on
…
I want to integrate my Phoenix app with an external app that offers webhook integration. So, it can send to my endpoint various messages. Now, while those messages follow a general schema, like {"event":..., "timestamp": ...., "payload": {.....}}, one could easily imagine that payload format depends on the event type.
I can imagine that going low-level, intercepting the full request body, copy it and manually analyzing it is an option. My question is, can I do something more generic via Phoenix? What would be the pathway?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
I would not say there’s a recommended way and/or special Phoenix mechanism; controller actions are just plain old Elixir functions.
So just deconstruct via normal pattern-matching to your heart’s content.
One thing you might consider though, is a JSON Schema library; if you know for a fact the several possible data shapes then you can construct a schema that would be valid only for them and enforce it.
But I would advise against that in your current initial experimentation stage. IMO just record everything like you already figured and then apply common sense. You’ll do perfect.
adw632
First off it sounds like you need a post action in your router.
Then in your controller handle the action. The body is already decoded in params so just pattern match on the shapes that you recognise to process it.
typed on my phone so code may not compile.
adamu
This will cause the server to crash on a match error. For a REST API, a
400 Bad Requestmight be a better design, which you could do with a catch-all clause, but you wouldn’t be able to provide feedback about which data was bad. Complex matches in the function header are also an anti-patternA project I’m involved with experimented with using Ecto and non-embedded embedded schemas with
Changeset.apply_action/2, for this but it’s quite a lot of boilerplate and feels like the wrong tool for the job. It’s also awkward for saying things like “field present even if nil/empty”.adw632
It is pretty trivial to have a catch all function for things you don’t recognise and return a HTTP 400 error, that is left as an excercise for the reader, I just outlined a general approach. There was no mention of full santisation checking of JSON payloads. If that is needed then a JSON schema validator can be used.
I STRONGLY disagree that function matching in this instance is an anti pattern. It is not complex, and is matching the expectations provided in the original question.
Again I must say there were long threads about code smells being interpreted as holy scripture and lorded by dogmatic types, I hope the community doesn’t go down this path as I support guidance but not dogma.
PATTERN MATCHING ON EXPECTATIONS IS GOOD
dimitarvp
Let’s not start with this again, please. Every individual or a team decides it for themselves. I am a big fan of pattern matching in function heads though I’ve seen some monstrosities – spanning 55 lines if memory serves – that even I wouldn’t write. At the end of the day though, the complexity has to go somewhere and this technique is one of several. There’s no right or wrong here. Doing 10+
Map.has_key?orMap.fetchisn’t very sightly or easy to visually parse either.Yep, and that’s still one of my top 5 reasons to still stick with Elixir.
And I’ve heard people arguing “but what if the pattern does not match and we get an error?” then well, you have
match?to avoid a runtime error, and you also can have catch-all clauses so I am really not sure what’s the fuss about.