sc4224
Hi, asking for the opinion of elixir devs with experience in HIPAA compliancy.
As far as authentication goes. Is there a preference of token-based vs session-based authentication to ensure HIPAA compliancy? Would devs implementing authentication be predisposed to use one method over the other? Does HIPAA compliancy even prioritize one method over the other?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tangui
Hi,
No HIPAA experience but as stated here you have to support logout.
To manage logout with JWTs, you’ll need… to manage states! Also some links on JWTs for authentication sessions that have already been posted here:
sc4224
@tangui so does that it is HIGHLY recommended and BEST practice to use session-based authentication? Even though HIPAA does not specifically state anything about using session-based over token-based authentication, it is better to use session-based authentication anyway correct?
tangui
I have no idea about HIPAA but if it is required to manage logout (and you should read their specs / recommendations / etc.) then you better use stateful (= session-based) sessions because if you use stateless sessions (JWTs…), you’ll end up reimplementing stateful sessions to support logout.
My opinion is that JWTs became popular for this because it’s hard to manage state in a cluster behind load-balancing with most languages and platforms, but that’s not (or less) the case with Erlang / Elixir.
sc4224
@tangui ok i understand. As far as implementation of session-based authentication is concerned. I’m trying to use ueberauth/guardian to do the implementation. It seems like it is JWT (token-based) rather than session-based. Are there any alternative libraries or tutorials on how to implement session-based authentication for elixir? Does guardian provide an option for session-based authentication?
danschultzer
Pow uses sessions by default: GitHub - pow-auth/pow: Robust, modular, and extendable user authentication system · GitHub
PowAssent provides multi-provider support (ueberauth alternative): GitHub - pow-auth/pow_assent: Multi-provider authentication for your Pow enabled app · GitHub
tangui
You don’t necessarily need a library for that: just set an authentication cookie after authentication. Depending on the session lifetime and deployment scenario (cluster? single server? sticky sessions on your lb or not?) you have plenty of choices for a backend where to store sessions:
Also you have to secure your cookie by:
I saw that Dan posted an answer, so yes you might be interested too in lib that does that already
OvermindDL1
I deal with HIPAA at work, and I use session based to our SSO and it is time based logout, and if an early logout is performed it logs out of everything else that uses the SSO as well (and vice-versa). I just verify with the SSO on-access if the account is still logged in or not.
So… I put the onus on the people that manage the SSO (other contractors). ^.^