1stSolo

1stSolo

I have a usecase where kafka endpoind information is entered by user. The endpoint is bound into Brod Client I’m starting and if that succeeds I start a Producer from that Client. If something fails, the GenServer is configured to do restart: :permanent. Which is a good thing because you want your client to try to restart if connection is severed or GenServer crashes for any reason. BUT since user entries are not fool-proof, a bad input such as non-existent Kafka broker will put GenServer into permanent restart loop.
How to best handle the situation where I want to avoid creating a client when user enters invalid Kafka configuration, but keep permanent restart mode if the configuration is valid?

Brod is doing it! brod/src/brod_sup.erl at 3.7.9 · kafka4beam/brod · GitHub

Maybe the best protection is to have separate code that validates the endpoint user entry and makes sure it’s live before attempting to start a client instance?..

Showing Posts 1 to 2

hst337

hst337

You can change permanent to transient. This will restart client only if it terminates with abnormal reason. Using this, you can exit with normal reason when the topic name is wrong

1stSolo

1stSolo OP

Unable. permanent is hardcoded in Brod library. Only thing you can change is delay between restarts.

My solution was to again use Brod to ping the brokers via get_metadata() and create client and producer only if response was {:ok, _metadata}. Otherwise I don’t create brokers and return :error.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews