gheidorn
I’m trying to get started with kafka_ex and can’t seem to even get it configured correctly. I am using the out of the box config with just the broker changed to localhost:2181 (testing locally). When I run my IEX session, I get this error:
22:49:31.422 [debug] Succesfully connected to broker "localhost":2181
22:49:31.442 [error] Receiving data from broker "localhost":2181 failed with :closed
22:49:31.442 [error] Unable to fetch metadata from any brokers. Timeout is 3000.
22:49:31.454 [info] Application kafka_ex exited: KafkaEx.start(:normal, []) returned an error: an exception was raised:
** (RuntimeError) Unable to fetch metadata from any brokers. Timeout is 3000.
(kafka_ex) lib/kafka_ex/server.ex:393: KafkaEx.Server0P9P0.retrieve_metadata/6
(kafka_ex) lib/kafka_ex/server_0_p_9_p_0.ex:62: KafkaEx.Server0P9P0.kafka_server_init/1
(stdlib) gen_server.erl:365: :gen_server.init_it/2
(stdlib) gen_server.erl:333: :gen_server.init_it/6
(stdlib) proc_lib.erl:247: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
** (Mix) Could not start application kafka_ex: KafkaEx.start(:normal, []) returned an error: an exception was raised:
** (RuntimeError) Unable to fetch metadata from any brokers. Timeout is 3000.
(kafka_ex) lib/kafka_ex/server.ex:393: KafkaEx.Server0P9P0.retrieve_metadata/6
(kafka_ex) lib/kafka_ex/server_0_p_9_p_0.ex:62: KafkaEx.Server0P9P0.kafka_server_init/1
(stdlib) gen_server.erl:365: :gen_server.init_it/2
(stdlib) gen_server.erl:333: :gen_server.init_it/6
(stdlib) proc_lib.erl:247: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
IanVaughan
Hi, silly question, but are you sure your broker is on 2181? As normally it binds to 9092.
The error is what I get when I’ve not started the kafka broker.
gheidorn
Not a silly question at all. I totally made this mistake! Thank you for your reply.