francesco.pessina

francesco.pessina

Hello everyone :slight_smile:
I have a strange problem with Kafka Ex (GitHub - kafkaex/kafka_ex: Kafka client library for Elixir · GitHub). While running locally and connecting to a local Kafka instance, all is fine.
When deploying the application on a Kubernetes AWS cluster, I experience a weird error. The Kafka broker is an AWS managed one, and I’m sure it is reachable because other microservices (Java) can connect.

This is the error I’m experiencing:

07:05:21.853 [error] GenServer #PID<0.4672.0> terminating                                                                                                                                                │
│ ** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: [async_commit: nil]                                                                                                                                   │
│     (kafka_ex 0.12.1) lib/kafka_ex/gen_consumer.ex:774: KafkaEx.GenConsumer.handle_message_set/2                                                                                                         │
│     (kafka_ex 0.12.1) lib/kafka_ex/gen_consumer.ex:668: KafkaEx.GenConsumer.handle_info/2                                                                                                                │
│     (stdlib 3.12.1) gen_server.erl:637: :gen_server.try_dispatch/4                                                                                                                                       │
│     (stdlib 3.12.1) gen_server.erl:711: :gen_server.handle_msg/6                                                                                                                                         │
│     (stdlib 3.12.1) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3                                                                                                                                        │
│ Last message: :timeout 

and this is my broker and consumer group configuration:

# Kafka brokers configuration
config :kafka_ex,
  brokers: "csv list of the brokers"

config :my_app, :children, [
  %{
    id: "consumer",
    start:
      {KafkaEx.ConsumerGroup, :start_link,
       [
         MyApp.Kafka.Consumer,
         System.get_env("KAFKA_CONSUMER_GROUP"),
         [<topic1>,<topic2>],
         [
           # setting for the ConsumerGroup
           heartbeat_interval: 1_000,
           # this setting will be forwarded to the GenConsumer
           commit_interval: 1_000,
           auto_offset_reset: :latest
         ]
       ]}
  }
]

The application is running in a Docker image built from elixir.1.11-alpine with OTP 23.

I don’t understand what’s happening :frowning:

Showing Posts 1 to 1

francesco.pessina

francesco.pessina OP

Nevermind, the problem may be some conflicting process… Rollbacking to a previous commit solved the issue :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews