eddy147

eddy147

On our staging server we have Kafka 2.8.1 installed. Running our app with kafka_ex 0.13 gives a :unsupported_version error: (our app is called dockr, not a typo )

 | 10:00:39.308 [error] GenServer #PID<0.1259.0> terminating
app_1  | ** (CaseClauseError) no case clause matching: :unsupported_version
app_1  |     (kafka_ex 0.13.0) lib/kafka_ex/gen_consumer.ex:929: KafkaEx.GenConsumer.load_offsets/1
app_1  |     (kafka_ex 0.13.0) lib/kafka_ex/gen_consumer.ex:660: KafkaEx.GenConsumer.handle_info/2
app_1  |     (stdlib 4.2) gen_server.erl:1123: :gen_server.try_dispatch/4
app_1  |     (stdlib 4.2) gen_server.erl:1200: :gen_server.handle_msg/6
app_1  |     (stdlib 4.2) proc_lib.erl:240: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
app_1  | Last message: :timeout
app_1  | State: %KafkaEx.GenConsumer.State{consumer_module: Dockr.Kafka.Consumer, consumer_state: nil, commit_interval: 1000, commit_threshold: 100, worker_name: #PID<0.1260.0>, group: "dockr-cg", topic: "dockr", partition: 1, member_id: "kafka_ex-8066c9fb-9d7b-40e9-8159-91e06eec48d0", generation_id: 17, current_offset: nil, committed_offset: nil, acked_offset: nil, last_commit: nil, auto_offset_reset: :earliest, fetch_options: [auto_commit: false, worker_name: #PID<0.1260.0>], api_versions: %{fetch: 0, offset_commit: 0, offset_fetch: 0}}

I have tried to reproduce the issue locally; I can not find a kafka docker container or an install that has 2.8.1;
I tried it wih with all kinds of versions of cp-confluent (6.2.x), also installed kafka 2.8.2 from apache, but it all works well locally.

Anyone recognizes this what could be the issue?

Many thx in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

eddy147

eddy147 OP

For anyone who faces the same issue: the reason for this was that the Kafka that was installed was Confluent Kafka, which apparently uses a different protocol which caused the issue.

I would have liked that the error was a bit more verbose than :unsupported_version.

dbernazal

dbernazal

Were you able to get this working with Confluent Kafka?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews