dalerka

dalerka

Environment:

MX-Linux 19
Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Elixir 1.12.0 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 24)

Problem:

Recently upgraded to the latest Elixir and tried to upgrade to the latest version of Phoenix generator with:
mix archive.install hex phx_new 1.5.9

and I keep getting these errors (full log):

18:30:11.084 [error] Task #PID<0.161.0> started from Hex.UpdateChecker terminating
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :ssl.cipher_suites/1 is undefined or private
    (ssl 10.4) :ssl.cipher_suites(:openssl)
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:124: Hex.HTTP.SSL.filter_ciphers/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:66: Hex.HTTP.SSL.ssl_opts/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:41: Hex.HTTP.build_http_opts/2
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:16: Hex.HTTP.request/5
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/update_checker.ex:31: anonymous fn/0 in Hex.UpdateChecker.handle_cast/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5
Function: #Function<0.54093280/0 in Hex.UpdateChecker.handle_cast/2>
    Args: []

18:30:11.084 [error] Task #PID<0.162.0> started from :hex_fetcher terminating
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :ssl.cipher_suites/1 is undefined or private
    (ssl 10.4) :ssl.cipher_suites(:openssl)
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:124: Hex.HTTP.SSL.filter_ciphers/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:66: Hex.HTTP.SSL.ssl_opts/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:41: Hex.HTTP.build_http_opts/2
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:16: Hex.HTTP.request/5
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/registry/server.ex:306: anonymous fn/3 in Hex.Registry.Server.prefetch_online/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5
Function: #Function<17.79564921/0 in Hex.Registry.Server.prefetch_online/2>
    Args: []
** (exit) exited in: GenServer.call(Hex.Registry.Server, {:versions, "hexpm", "phx_new"}, 60000)
    ** (EXIT) time out
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/gen_server.ex:1024: GenServer.call/3
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/remote_converger.ex:182: Hex.RemoteConverger.verify_package_req/4
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/enum.ex:930: Enum."-each/2-lists^foreach/1-0-"/2
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/remote_converger.ex:172: Hex.RemoteConverger.verify_input/2
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/remote_converger.ex:42: Hex.RemoteConverger.converge/2
    (mix 1.12.0) lib/mix/dep/converger.ex:95: Mix.Dep.Converger.all/4
    (mix 1.12.0) lib/mix/dep/converger.ex:51: Mix.Dep.Converger.converge/4
    (mix 1.12.0) lib/mix/dep/fetcher.ex:16: Mix.Dep.Fetcher.all/3

Same error happens when trying to mix deps.update --all inside a Phoenix project.
How can I debug/fix this issue?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

dalerka

dalerka OP

Sorry for buzz. This issue is solved by running:
mix local.hex

Just leaving here for posterity.

36
Post #1
DevWasi

DevWasi

11:17:40.972 [error] Task #PID<0.175.0> started from Hex.UpdateChecker terminating
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :ssl.cipher_suites/1 is undefined or private
    (ssl 10.4) :ssl.cipher_suites(:openssl)
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:124: Hex.HTTP.SSL.filter_ciphers/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:66: Hex.HTTP.SSL.ssl_opts/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:41: Hex.HTTP.build_http_opts/2
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:16: Hex.HTTP.request/5
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/update_checker.ex:31: anonymous fn/0 in Hex.UpdateChecker.handle_cast/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5
Function: #Function<0.54093280/0 in Hex.UpdateChecker.handle_cast/2>
    Args: []

11:17:40.989 [error] Task #PID<0.176.0> started from :hex_fetcher terminating
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :ssl.cipher_suites/1 is undefined or private
    (ssl 10.4) :ssl.cipher_suites(:openssl)
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:124: Hex.HTTP.SSL.filter_ciphers/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:66: Hex.HTTP.SSL.ssl_opts/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:41: Hex.HTTP.build_http_opts/2
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:16: Hex.HTTP.request/5
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/registry/server.ex:306: anonymous fn/3 in Hex.Registry.Server.prefetch_online/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5
Function: #Function<17.79564921/0 in Hex.Registry.Server.prefetch_online/2>
    Args: []

11:17:40.990 [error] Task #PID<0.182.0> started from :hex_fetcher terminating
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :ssl.cipher_suites/1 is undefined or private
    (ssl 10.4) :ssl.cipher_suites(:openssl)
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:124: Hex.HTTP.SSL.filter_ciphers/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:66: Hex.HTTP.SSL.ssl_opts/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:41: Hex.HTTP.build_http_opts/2
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:16: Hex.HTTP.request/5
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/registry/server.ex:306: anonymous fn/3 in Hex.Registry.Server.prefetch_online/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5
Function: #Function<17.79564921/0 in Hex.Registry.Server.prefetch_online/2>
    Args: []

11:17:40.990 [error] Task #PID<0.181.0> started from :hex_fetcher terminating
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :ssl.cipher_suites/1 is undefined or private
    (ssl 10.4) :ssl.cipher_suites(:openssl)
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:124: Hex.HTTP.SSL.filter_ciphers/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http/ssl.ex:66: Hex.HTTP.SSL.ssl_opts/1
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:41: Hex.HTTP.build_http_opts/2
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/http.ex:16: Hex.HTTP.request/5
    (hex 0.20.6) lib/hex/registry/server.ex:306: anonymous fn/3 in Hex.Registry.Server.prefetch_online/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5
Function: #Function<17.79564921/0 in Hex.Registry.Server.prefetch_online/2>
    Args: []

i was getting this when i was running the mix deps.get.
The error occurred when i installed openSSL after installing TOR.

dbytecoderc

dbytecoderc

Thank you! saved me a lot of time

TomHale

TomHale

The /0 and /1 versions were deprecated in OTP 21. Work-around here:

n1ghtc4t

n1ghtc4t

thx!! save me too.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews