silverdr
While continuing my getting used to Elixir testing approaches venture I encountered a “scratch-my-head” type of issue when upon testing a piece of code that calls render(conn, ...) I began receiving the
** (KeyError) key :phoenix_endpoint not found in: %{phoenix_recycled: true, plug_skip_ [...]
The test module does use MyAppWeb.ConnCase, async: true. The ConnCase is unmodified vanilla Phoenix one, which sets @endpoint and builds conn, just like in other test modules.
I can work the error around with
conn = conn |> put_private(:phoenix_endpoint, MyAppWeb.Endpoint)
but this smells to me. Any hints why do I have to do this? And/or what should I do instead?
An example of test giving this error:
test "clears ip address", %{conn: conn, user: user} do
# GIVEN an inactive user and an IP address of the connection stored in the database
assert IpAddress |> where([ipa], ipa.ip_address == ^conn.remote_ip) |> Repo.aggregate(:count) == 1
# WHEN calling user_login_success/2
conn = Session.user_login_success(conn, user)
# EXPECT the ip address record to be removed from the database
assert IpAddress |> where([ipa], ipa.ip_address == ^conn.remote_ip) |> Repo.aggregate(:count) == 0
end
The offending (triggering error) render() is located in:
defp user_not_activated(conn, user) do
conn
|> put_session(:email, user.email)
|> put_view(MyAppWeb.UserView)
|> render(:not_activated, [conn: conn, activation_resent_at: user.last_activation_sent_at])
|> halt()
end
Setup for this block:
setup %{conn: conn} do
# No idea why the `put_private` is needed. IMHO shouldn't be
# as the @endpoint is set in the ConnCase, but without it
# I get: "** (KeyError) key :phoenix_endpoint not found in: %{phoenix_recycled: true, plug_skip_ [...]"
conn = conn
|> put_format("html")
|> put_private(:phoenix_endpoint, NvoiceWeb.Endpoint)
SecurityFixtures.fixture(conn.remote_ip)
%{user: AccountsFixtures.fixture(:user), conn: conn}
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Can you show the test producing that error?
silverdr
Yessir! Updated the post. And also dug through more documentation to eventually find this one:
which seems to be much further away from the smelly side, while doing at least as good job of dealing with the error.