markevans

markevans

Hi there!

I’ve created a small library, Komodo, that allows easy use of JS framework components from Phoenix LiveView.

Each framework just needs a small piece of easy-to-write Javascript adapter code to work with it (this is already provided for React, Svelte, Vue and Web Components).

komodo-short

Rationale

There are a few libraries already out there for rendering JS components (for React, Svelte, etc.) from LiveView, however I personally wanted a few things which they all seemed to be missing:

  • A standard interface for interacting with different frameworks
  • To be truly reusable, JS components should have no knowledge of LiveView (many other libraries require them to know about pushEvent) - with this separation it’s now easy to drop in third-party reusable components without needing to wrap them in a LiveView-aware wrapper
  • separation between a) compiling the component into JS and b) actually using the component (other libraries do both things for you) - you may not even want to compile, say, Svelte components if you’re only pulling in third-party ones
  • easily use components from different frameworks in the same app

This is a fairly simple first pass, but to be honest I’m not sure if anything more complicated is needed.
For example, currently all props are sent down the wire when a prop is changed, but to send only the prop that changed down the wire we’d need to keep more state in memory in the LiveView process, which may be a worse trade-off if there are many users. Something to think about for the future anyway.

Please let me know if you have any feedback!
Links below - thanks!

Mark

https://github.com/hungry-egg/komodo

Showing Posts 1 to 1

juliolinarez

juliolinarez

I’ve only just found this library. I tried to do the same from the scratch. Looks awesome ! Thanks

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews