mruoss

mruoss

TL;DR

I’ve build Kompost, a Kubernetes Operator written in Elixir. Kompost is meant to be a “fertiliser” for development teams running their services/application in Kubernetes. It gives them the ability to manage certain infrastructure resources through their Kubernetes Cluster. Combine Kompost with ArgoCD or similar to manage databases and hopefully soon other resources, too, in a GitOps manner.

Kompost

In the past year, I’ve spent quite some time maintaining and refactoring Cory O’Dainel’s libraries k8s (Kubernetes Client) and Bonny (Kubernetes Operator SDK). Now it was time to eat some of that dog food and create my own Kubernetes operator with Bonny.

Kompost is built as a set of components (Kompos). At this moment there are only two components: Postgres and Temporal whereas Temporal is in very beta state, so let’s talk about Postgres. The Postgres Kompo lets you manage (create) databases on an existing Postgres server by applying the right custom resources to it.

Some time into development I found out db-operator does the same as my Postgres Kompo already. I’ve started using db-operator and lost motivation to work on Kompost for some time. But then I found some things I would have done differently and it gave me back motivation to work in Kompost and bring it to a usable state (add some more features to the Postgres Kompo, Create some nice documentation, create a Helm chart, etc.)

So if you’re working with Kubernetes, give it a spin, I’d love to hear from your experience.

Links

PS: I guess there’s only a category for libraries and none for projects in this forum, right? So I’ve put this under “Chat/Discussions”…

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews