mruoss

mruoss

Kubegen generates Kubernetes clients in the form of resource based client modules directly into your project.

I have been co-maintaining the k8s library for some time now and while it is very dynamic and mighty, I always found it a bit big and clumsy for simple use cases. With Kubegen I went down a different road. Kubegen generates per resource client modules into your project. They are super straight-forward to use:

# list ConfigMaps in the default namespace:
{:ok, resp} = MyApp.K8sClient.Core.V1.ConfigMap.list("default")

# get the ConfigMap with name "my-config" in namespace "default":
{:ok, resp} = MyApp.K8sClient.Core.V1.ConfigMap.get("default", "my-config")

The generated modules use Kubereq to load the Kubernetes configuration and prepare the Req.Request for operations on the resource. Finally, it’s plain Req to make the HTTP requests and most function return {:ok, Req.Response.t()} in the happy case.

Generate your first Client Module

Generating your first client is quite straight-foward. Have a look at the project’s README.md on detailed instructions. But in a nutshell, the library offers a Mix task (mix kubegen) which reads some entries from your application configuration and generates the configured modules.

Generating clients for ConfigMap, Deployment, ClusterRole and a CRD looks like this:

Where’s the Kubernetes Configuration?

As part of the configuration you need to tell Kubegen how the Kubeconfig is loaded. Kubereq comes with a default loading pipeline which does the job in most basic setups (i.e. load the current context from $HOME/.kube/config or when running on a Kuberenetes cluster).

Showing Posts 1 to 1

mruoss

mruoss OP

kubereq v0.4.0

I have released kubereq v0.4.0 today. See the changelog below. BTW: kino_k8s v2.0.0 was also released today. It uses kubereq now and all smart cells were consolidated into a single cell.

:warning: Breaking Changes :warning:

  • Kubereq.watch/3 and Kubereq.watch_single/4 now also return t:Kubereq.response/0.
    The stream which was returned directly before is now accessible through the :body
    key of the returned t:Req.Response.t/0 struct. The :stream_to option was removed.
    Kubereq.Watcher was added for implementing long running watch event handlers.

Changes

  • Kubereq.wait_until/5 gets by without Task.async/1.
  • Kubereq.create/3, Kubereq.update/3 and Kubereq.apply/5: Extract api_verison and kind from passed resource.

Added

  • Kubereq.Watcher - A behaviour module for implementing a Kubernetes watch event handler.
  • Streaming for paginated list operation via the :into option of Kubereq.list/3
    #46
  • Kubereq.can_i/3 - Checks whether the authenticated user is authorized to perform a specific action.
  • Error raising variants for all functions in Kubereq except Kubereq.wait_until/5.
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews