evnu

evnu

Hi!

Some of you may have read the RabbitMQ announcement of Streams.
To quote the announcement:

A RabbitMQ stream models an append-only log with non-destructive consuming
semantics. This means that – contrary to traditional queues in RabbitMQ –
consuming from a stream does not remove messages.

As far as I can tell, there are currently a Java and Go client to connect to RabbitMQ streams, but no Erlang or Elixir client. To take Streams for a spin, we thus wrote a simple Erlang library called lake. The library misses features such as handling clustering, but it works to give streams a try from Erlang and Elixir. See the repository for a usage example.

I hope somebody here finds lake useful!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

evnu

evnu OP

Hi there!

I just released v0.2.0. With this release, all messages from the current protocol specification are supported. That also means that SuperStreams can now be used! The API of lake is very rough around the edges, but playing around with RabbitMQ Streams works.

If you plan to play with SuperStreams, note that a SuperStreams need to be created outside of lake. The binary protocol does not have a command to create SuperStreams. Either use rabbitmqctl, or see lake_SUITE for how to create a SuperStream using AMQP.

msw10100

msw10100

Thanks for writing this library, I look forward to playing with it from Elixir!

I’ve started rabbitmq with:

docker run -it --rm --name rabbitmq -p 5552:5552 -p 15672:15672 -e RABBITMQ_SERVER_ADDITIONAL_ERL_ARGS='-rabbitmq_stream advertised_host localhost -rabbit loopback_users "none"' rabbitmq:3.9-management

and enabled the Streams management plugin with:

docker exec rabbitmq rabbitmq-plugins enable rabbitmq_stream_management

I can see in the RabbitMQ logs and admin that Streams are enabled. But the lake connect fails. I get an error on the RabbitMQ console of unknown command. Here’s my code:

def connect do
    :lake.connect("localhost", 5552, "guest", "guest", "/")
end

And the error I get:

** (CaseClauseError) no case clause matching: {{:close, 1, 13, "unknown frame"}, ""}
    (lake 0.2.1) /.../lake/src/lake_raw_connection.erl:98: :lake_raw_connection.exchange_command_versions/1

Any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong?

evnu

evnu OP

This is because of the RabbitMQ version. I tested lake’s v0.2 against RabbitMQ 3.11 to make use of SuperStreams. RabbitMQ 3.9 misses the EXCHANGE_COMMAND_VERSIONS command. So, to work around this, use the option {:exchange_command_versions, false} when connecting. This is one of the things where the API of lake is still quite rough around the edges. The following should work:

def connect do
    :lake.connect("localhost", 5552, "guest", "guest", "/", exchange_command_versions: false)
end

With that, you can take a look into lake’s lake_SUITE for some examples on using RabbitMQ Streams.

Note that the RabbitMQ 3.9 release series is EOL. When I run your docker command, I see the following (non-fatal) error message:

2023-03-12 17:27:13.077571+00:00 [error] <0.230.0> This release series has reached end of life and is no longer supported. Please visit https://rabbitmq.com/versions.html to learn more and upgrade

W.r.t. RabbitMQ 3.9 being EOL, maybe I should add a minimal RabbitMQ version supported by lake at some point in time. But a nicer API should have a higher priority.

msw10100

msw10100

Awesome, @evnu, thanks! I totally should’ve checked RabbitMQ versions.

I’m now connecting and starting to play with the API. I’m not an erlang expert, just a few years of elixir, so I’m not super well-equipped to help you work on the API. I can read erlang well enough but haven’t had much call to write it. Playing with lake might motivate me to ramp up my erlang skills, though.

Many thanks for the fast response and for getting me pointed in the right direction!

evnu

evnu OP

You don’t need to be an erlang expert to help out - I am mostly struggling with understanding what the API should “feel like”. So, if you have comments what feels wrong and what is harder than it should be, that information would be great! :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews